Sunday 23 July 2023

Pat Buttram


            On Saturday morning I started memorizing "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days), the first song that Boris Vian wrote in 1943. Following along with the YouTube audio file of Magali Noël singing the song live I figured out that I have all the text of the lyrics she sings but she just skips a couple of verses. I almost memorized the first verse. 
            I blog published "Wounds That Zip Open", which is my translation of "Ouvertures éclair" by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in French and English and then uploaded it to Christian's Translations. I almost finished preparing it for blog publication and that should be done on Sunday. Yesterday I downloaded the Charlotte Gainsbourg discography which includes the next few songs I'll be learning. I memorized the first verse and chorus of Serge Gainsbourg's "Plus doux avec moi" (Sweeter with Me). There are two verses and two choruses left to learn.
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            I finished sewing the leather buttonhole on one end of my old guitar strap and started sewing one onto the other end. 
            At 13:00 I went for lunch with my upstairs neighbour David at Little Tibet in the plaza where the laundromat is. We sat on the patio and he had a Budweiser while I had two Heineken. He always orders fried rice the three times we've gone for Tibetan food and has never ordered Tibetan food. I had the Shabaley, which consisted of three large Tibetan beef patties. They were certainly substantial but kind of bland. I had to struggle with him to pay the bill and he insisted until the end when I grabbed the bill before he did and then he gave in and said he'd pay next time. A former co-worker of his came to sit with us and David offered him a beer and so I paid for that too. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I spent half an hour chiseling green root fossils from slate. Some of them came out fairly intact. I'm almost finished with the first big piece of rock. There are two left. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:12. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of Megaphor from June 20 to June 22 of this year. June 20 and 21 were with the electric and on June 20 the first take was pretty good. On June 21 both takes were pretty good. On June 22 I played the acoustic and the take at 5:30 was very good but one chord near the end was slightly off. 
            In Audacity I almost finished lowering the volume of the drum track of Sleep in the Snow during the instrumental. I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to lower it at any points during the verses. 
            I almost finished scanning the individual frames of the black and white negatives from spring of 1988 that I'd cut from their strips for printing. 
            I made pizza on whole wheat naan with Basilica sauce, honey-garlic sausage, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 3, episodes 20 and 21 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story it's a new school term and a student named Walter needs a half credit but all of the courses are full except for home economics. He's the only boy in the class and he is the butt of jokes from both the girls in the class and the boys outside. The only girl who empathizes with him is Bobbie Joe. The teacher announces a special test the next day in which each student has to pretend their partner's boss is coming to their house for dinner and they have to prepare a meal, make it pleasing to the eye and also taste good in twenty minutes. All of the Bradley sisters try to help him and he practices in Kate's kitchen but after several tries over a few hours it's clear that he won't succeed in any conventional way. But Kate has a solution that she found when she experienced in reality the teacher's hypothetical scenario before her husband died. When it's Walter's turn in class he takes the teacher and the Bradley family to a nice restaurant and the teacher thinks that is brilliantly innovative. That's a silly solution. That would be like presenting someone else's poetry when one is assigned to write one's own.
            In the second story the county fair is approaching. Kate has won the cake baking contest seven years in a row and is planning a pineapple upside down cake. Betty is in charge of the Hooterville High entry in the pet contest and she won last year with a woodchuck. But this year she has entered a pig named Everett. Bobbie Joe is entering the talent contest as a singer. As all the girls are caught up in their preparations Kate finds it very distracting while trying to bake her cake. Meanwhile Everett goes into a deep depression and the only thing that snaps him out of it is Bobbie singing. Bobbie agrees to sing for Everett during the pet competition. With an hour before the contest all of the distractions cause Kate to burn her cake. But she improvises another cake from the ingredients of all of her false starts and it's beautiful. At the fair Bobbie learns that they've put her event at the same time as Betty's and so she can't sing for Everett. But Betty goes to Mr. Haney's pitching booth and knocks over so many pins that she wins the grand prize, which is a tape recorder. She records Bobbie singing and plays it for Everette so she wins and so does Bobbie. But while Joe is trying his hand at pitching, the cake judge is about to taste Kate's cake when Joe overshoots the target and the ball flies into her cake. Kate goes after Joe and he hides in what he doesn't know is the dunking seat. Kate throws a couple of balls and dunks him twice. 
            Mr. Haney was played by Pat Buttram, whose career started by accident when he was attending the 1933 Chicago Worlds Fair. A radio announcer randomly interviewed him as part of the crowd and his observations about the fair were so hilarious that he was offered a job. He became a regular on The National Barn Dance and that led to Gene Autrey selecting him as his new sidekick in western movies when Smiley Burnette got other work. Buttram appeared in many Autrey western films as well as his TV series. He performed stand-up on Toast of the Town, which became the Ed Sullivan Show. He became a star as a result of his appearances as Mr. Haney on Green Acres. Because of his sophisticated wit he was sought after as a toast master. He founded the Golden Boot awards for industry professionals who contribute to western films.



No comments:

Post a Comment