Saturday 22 July 2023

Clifford Goldsmith


            On Friday morning I tried to start learning "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days) from 1943, the first song that Boris Vian wrote. There seems to be only one audio file of this song online and that's a live version by Magali Noël, but the lyrics are not exactly the same. The words that were posted are based on Noël's recording but it must be her studio recording, which I can't find. There are plenty of downloads of Noël as an actor in Fellini movies but none with her singing. I guess I'll just have to improvise the melody applied to the lyrics that I have. 
            I finished working out the chords for "Ouvertures éclair" (Wounds That Zip Open) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in French and English and then uploaded it to Christian's Translations. I almost finished preparing it for bog publication and that should be done on Saturday. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            I put my laundry away. 
            I had an appointment with an academic advisor for 14:30, which is my nap time and so I took an early siesta so I'd be awake.
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before lunch. 
            I left home at about 13:45 and got to Woodsworth College at 14:15. Winnie, my advisor was ten minutes late because her prior appointment ran over. I haven't been to the registrar's office at Woodsworth since before covid and it's changed quite a bit. The waiting area is more like a lounge with lots of plugs for laptops. There's also a balcony. 
            I asked Winnie to confirm that I was half a credit away from graduating. I learned that no bells and whistles go off when one has completed one's graduation requirements because one could choose to continue to take courses for years afterward. She confirmed that with one more half credit in a 300 or higher English course I could ask for my degree. She didn't have much information about the Masters program in Creative Writing and its requirements. I learned that if I go for the MA then Woodsworth would no longer be my college because colleges are for undergraduates. I would be dealing entirely with the School of Graduate Studies. 
            I finished my bike ride downtown before heading home. 
            I went online to look at the requirements for the Masters in Creative Writing. They want a minimum average of B+ but they don't say if that average is the same as the cumulative Grade Point Average. My cumulative grade point average is slightly below B+ but my average in English has been well above B+. I sent them an email to ask and also wondered if leeway is given with recommendations from professors. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:40. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of Megaphor from June 17 to June 19 of last year. On June 17 I played the electric and the first take and the third take at 4:00 were the best yet for the electric. On June 18 and 19 I played the acoustic. On June 18 it doesn't feel like I was hitting the B firmly enough. On June 19 one chord near the end was off. 
            In Audacity I continued to lower the volume of the drum track of the instrumental for my song Sleep in the Snow. I've only gotten about ten seconds of the instrumental done since I started a week or so ago. 
            I finished scanning the colour negatives of shots I took from my window. I then did a couple of strips of black and white that had nude shots of my ex-girlfriend that I can't post online for obvious reasons, but there's one with her clothes on. There are also shots of a Sprite can that I found in an interesting hole in a wall in an alley. I then found an envelope of bits of black and white negatives from the spring of 1988 that have been cut into individual frames. That means they've all been printed, but they haven't been digitized. There are a lot of shots I took while babysitting Mike Copping's kids. 
            I grilled a rack of pork ribs and had three with a potato and gravy while watching season 3, episodes 18 and 19 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story Billie Joe wants to get her own apartment and at first Kate says no but finally she gives in when someone she knows is the landlady. It's a place above a garage and at first Billie enjoys her independence. She eats weird food like a liverwurst omelette but she still expects her mother to do her laundry. Kate charges her for that. Finally Billie is homesick but doesn't want to come home because of that. She needs to get evicted and so she lets Joe's Hooterville Volunteer Fire Department Band practice in her apartment. 
            In the second story Betty's boyfriend Edward calls her immature because she prefers sports to debating and so she dumps him. Kate gives Betty the college books of a family friend that were forgotten to take to Sam Drucker so he can mail them back to her. But while Betty is on the train it lurches and she bumps into a college boy and the books spill. When he helps pick them up he thinks they're hers and assumes she's a college girl. Since it makes her feel mature she lets him believe that. Chuck invites her to a movie and Betty reads Coed Magazine to find out what college girls are like. She learns they live on yogourt, wear false eyelashes and high heels. Hardly anybody at that time knew what yogourt was but Charlie gets some for Betty from Newt Kylie the dairy farmer. Bobbie gets false eyelashes and high heels from Lisa Douglas. Billie puts the eyelashes on Betty with kitchen glue. Both Edward and Chuck show up to take Betty out and so Bobbie goes out with Edward. In the movies Betty would love to have some popcorn but says she only eats yogourt. One of her eyelashes comes half off and so do both of her shoes. Chuck "accidentally" drops popcorn in her lap and she eats it. Eventually Betty and Bobbie switch men and have a better time. Edward agrees to take Betty to a basketball game.
            The second story was co-written by Clifford Goldsmith, who studied at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. He was a high school health instructor for eight years and wrote plays on the side. He co-wrote the movies What A Life and Father Was a Fullback. "What a Life" the movie was based on Goldsmith's play of the same name which became the basis for the radio and television series The Aldrich Family. Henry Aldrich was radio's favourite juvenile. In 1943 Goldsmith was the highest paid writer in radio. The series ran for fourteen years. He was the sole writer for the first seven years of the radio series and for the first year of the TV series.




No comments:

Post a Comment