Thursday 13 July 2023

July 13, 1993: Two police detectives came to investigate a homicide because the suspect looked like a picture they had of me


Thirty years ago today 

            On Tuesday I got up at 11:00, and after breakfast I did some cleaning. I managed to get the kitchen and the eating area done. I worked on a project and was getting ready to go downtown to the Ontario College of Art so I could make some free phone calls from the models lounge when there were footsteps on the stairs outside followed by a loud knock on my door. It turned out to be two police detectives and one of them was the same guy who'd come before when they were investigating Cash and Carry Flowers for money laundering. At first I thought their visit was related to the previous one and so I was fairly relaxed since that had nothing to do with me. But then they told me they were investigating a homicide in Thunder Bay on a certain date and the description of the murderer looked a lot like the picture of me they had on file from when some other cops planted hash on me and arrested me for possession back in 1973. Now they wanted to know what I was doing in June of 1991. I remembered that had been when I was staying at Nancy's place with my newborn daughter but I told them I could tell them exactly what I was doing on any given day because I'd been keeping a diary since 1990. I said I'd get it from the living room and they said, "Do you mind if we accompany you there?" I said "Sure" but the way they came along suggested that they thought I might be getting a gun. I guess if you're going to lead a child's fantasy life of playing cops and robbers in adulthood you might as well lead it to the hilt. Anyway I read them about three weeks of my journal, although not word for word, but just enough to let them know where I was and what I was doing on those dates. I was working for Mr. Mover at the time and that could easily be proven from the company's records. I was nervous but it probably didn't show. After they left I went to the Ontario College of Art, made some phone calls, and then worked for Sandra Altwerger's class.

No comments:

Post a Comment