Saturday 29 July 2023

Jack Collins


            On Friday morning I adjusted my translation of the last verse of "Plus doux avec moi" (Be Sweet with Me) by Serge Gainsbourg. I sang and played it and then I uploaded it to Christian's Translations. I almost finished preparing it for blog publication and that should be done on Saturday. 
            I played my Kramer electric guitar during song practice. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in a week.
            Around midday I scrubbed and scraped floorboards eight to eleven under the stove and got most of the glue off. I should have it finished on Sunday and get a start on the last four floorboards. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride in the heat downtown and back. I stopped at the Bank of Montreal machine at the Manulife Centre to get $300. I usually get my cash from the machine at Freshco but on Thursday it just gave me a receipt saying my money had gone back into my account. One of the head cashiers explained that the machine was probably out of money. 
            When I got home I spent about eighteen minutes chiseling green fossils from slate. I didn't get much this time but I'm down to just a rock and a half of the three rocks from which I'd started. 
            I weighed 84.4 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:22. 
            I compared my performance of "Megaphor" on June 8 of this year with June 15. There's not much difference in the sound but on June 8 I look friendlier and more relaxed and so that one beats the 15th. I compared June 8 to June 22 and June 22 is better except for one chord that's slightly off. I'll say that June 8 wins again. I compared June 8 to June 25 and without a doubt June 25 is better. It was also clear from the video that I was happy to get it in one take. So June 25 beats June 8. I compared June 25 to July 4 and July 4 was better except for one chord sounding slightly off, so I'm keeping June 25. There are five more sessions with the acoustic to compare it to and so I'll probably know tomorrow which acoustic version of "Megaphor" I will render as a movie and upload to YouTube. 
            In Audacity I worked on synchronizing the vocals of the master track of Sleep in the Snow with that of the drum track. I got the wave forms as parallel as they could be but I think there's already reverb on my voice and so it's always going to sound like there are two vocals slightly but not dissonantly out of synch. But I discovered that after the instrumental when the vocal kicks back in the two vocals are too out of synch again. The master vocal comes back in at 3:37.390 whereas the one of the drum track returns at 3:37.700, so I'm going to have to work next on resynchronizing the vocals after the instrumental. There's a pause just before I sing again and the waveform is fairly flat and so hopefully if I delete some of that I can get them in synch without screwing up how the instrumentation synchs on the two tracks and without skewing the rhythm of the drum track. 
            I scanned the rest of the set of negatives of Amsterdam. In the same envelope was a black and white set of my cat Siva on my roof at Widmer Street, probably just before I left for Europe in the late spring of 1987. My friend Mike Copping stayed in my place while I was gone but the rent wasn't paid, he got kicked out and the cats became strays until I came back at the end of the summer and found them in a basement window-well. The nasty superintendent threw out a lot of my comic books too, but I recovered most if not all of them. 
            I grilled eight chicken drumsticks and had two with a potato and gravy while watching season 3, episodes 32 and 33 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story the girls realize that when they go out on dates, so does the dog and Joe goes to play checkers, leaving Kate alone. Joe suggests that she needs a companion and so the girls begin a plot to find their mother a man. They first think of the handsome new unmarried principal at Hooterville High. Betty decides to slip a bullfrog into his lunchbox so he'll call Kate to have a meeting with her about her daughter. But unbeknownst to Betty the principal is away and she puts the frog in the lunch of the married substitute teacher. Then they ask Lisa Douglas for help and she suggests a lonely hearts club, so the girls advertize that there is one at the Shady Rest. Three men come looking for their matches. Kate knows nothing about it and is puzzled when they say they won't eat until the women arrive. Finally Kate gets the truth from her daughters. After dinner Kate tries to explain to the men that there are no women, but they all say that after they've tasted her cooking they've found their match. Kate has to figure out a way to discourage each of them and so she learns from Joe what each man hates in a woman. He tells her that Mr. Rambo hates gabby women and so she talks his head off until he decides to leave. Then Kate learns that the hypochondriac Mr. Willoughby hates hearing about other people's health problems and so Kate makes up a slew of them for herself and he also decides to leave. Finally Mr. Thatcher loves to sleep late and so Kate and Joe wake him up early for the hotel exercise program. He also decides to move out. The girls promise to stay out of their mother's love life. 
            Mr. Thatcher was played by Jack Collins, who co-starred in the sitcom "Occasional Wife", and played Mike Brady's boss on "The Brady Bunch". He made many guest appearances on various TV series and played the mayor of San Francisco in "Towering Inferno". 


            In the second story Joe is excited that a lake is going to be created in the middle of Hooterville Valley. He thinks it will create tons of business for the Shady Rest until Kate looks at the map of the lake to see that the Shady Rest would be at the bottom of it and so would the railroad line on which the Cannonball runs. Kate realizes that only one person could have thought of such a plan and then in walks Homer Bedloe. Kate, her family and friends learn that they need 200 signatures for a petition against the lake. But in the whole community there are only 198 citizens. Bedloe brings in the Conservation Commissioner to settle the deal and when Floyd meets him he asks for his autograph since he's never met a commissioner. The only paper they have is the petition and so the commissioner unknowingly signs his name. Bedloe protests that Floyd didn't ask for his autograph and so he also signs his name, thereby completing the petition. With the petition they are able to have a restraining order drawn up but Bedloe has a counter restraining order all ready. But when the commissioner goes to the Shady Rest he sees that the dog has dug up a Choctaw tomahawk. Joe says there are lots more buried around and so the commissioner tears up the eviction notice because this discovery is more important than a dam. But Kate arrives and has to tell him the truth that the tomahawk was made in Japan. The commissioner will go ahead with the dam but needs a copy of the survey from Bedloe. Bedloe doesn't want to show it and then the dog runs away with it and brings it to the commissioner. He reads it and sees that the engineers recommend Willow Creek would be the best location for the dam. The main line of the C&FW Railroad runs along Willow Creek and not the Hooterville Valley. Bedloe was trying to save his job and destroy the Cannonball spur line at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment