Tuesday 25 July 2023

Don Keefer


            On Monday morning I memorized the second verse of "Au bon vieux temps" (In the Good Old Days) by Boris Vian. 
            I memorized the second chorus of "Plus doux avec moi" (Sweeter with Me) and almost nailed down the third verse. Since the last chorus only has two lines that aren't repeats I may have this song nailed down on Tuesday. 
            I played my Martin acoustic for song practice and will do so for the next three days. 
            I weighed 85.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I moved the stove and scrubbed and scraped more glue left over from floor tiles that had been there. I finished the first three floorboards and got more of the glue off the next four. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. On Yonge Street a guy came up to me an asked where York University is. I told him it was way up in northern Toronto at the end of the subway. He said there's a downtown campus and I said it was possible but I'd never heard of it in all my years in Toronto. I'd forgotten about the Glendon Campus, which is a little closer at Lawrence and Bayview.
            When I got home I went out and spent about twenty minutes chiseling green root fossils from slate. I finished the first piece of slate and started on the second one of two more. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:33. 
            I reviewed my performances of "Megaphor" from June 27 to July 2 of this year. On June 27, and June 30 to July 2 I played the electric. On June 27 the take at 1:15 wasn't bad. June 30 and July 1 were both pretty good but July 2 was one of the best. With the acoustic, on June 28 it got a little discordant in places near the end. June 29 was one of the best in general but one chord sounded off. 
            I started a new project in Audacity, this time starting with the drumless master track of Sleep in the Snow and then adding the full drum track. I worked on synchronizing the two but didn't get them fully lined up before it was time to make dinner. I'll try again on Tuesday.
            I scanned the rest of a set of black and white negatives that had shots of my ex-girlfriend Brenda and some street shots. I started a set of colour negatives that are mostly of a wedding that I obviously didn't shoot and I have no idea who these people are. I know there are shots of mine in there of a multi-globe street lamp with the CN Tower behind it. The sleeve is dated May 1992 so maybe the wedding is of some of Nancy's stuffy German relatives. There was nothing in my 1992 journal about it so I don't know. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three pork ribs while watching season 3, episodes 24 and 25 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story the Shady Rest Hotel is in competition with the Pixley Hotel to host a convention of the benevolent Order of Dolphins. An inspector will be coming from the organization to assess both hotels. Meanwhile Kate learns that her taxes have been raised by $6. That seems reasonable to Kate but Joe is outraged. He writes a nasty letter to the tax office and the tax man decides to come and visit. Kate and the girls go to Sam Drucker's Store to shop for material for new curtains. Joe stays behind at the hotel and in anticipation of the tax man's visit he works to make the hotel look as depressed and run down as possible. The problem is that the man who comes is Mr. Forbes the inspector for the convention but Joe thinks he's the tax man. Then in anticipation of the inspector Joe spruces up the hotel and makes it appear like a wealthy enterprise, but the person who comes is Mr. Albright from the tax office. When Kate finds out about it she heads for the tax office to set things straight but runs into the inspector for the Order of the Dolphins and convinces him to come again to see the hotel all fixed up. But while they are on their way Joe gets a message that the tax man is returning and he slums down the hotel again. Kate loses the bid for the convention but the tax man arrives and tells Kate that he looked deeper into her files and discovered that the government owes her a refund of $126. 
            Forbes was played by Don Keefer, who was the last surviving member of the original cast of Death of a Salesman on Broadway. He was the victim in "The Twilight Zone" episode "It's A Good Life" of being turned into a jack in the box by the boy who could mold reality with his mind. He was a founding member of The Actor's Studio. He appeared in ten episodes each of "Gunsmoke" and the sitcom "Angel".
            In the second story the Shady Rest is full up and turning guests away. She sends one to the Pixley Hotel, which would have been empty otherwise. Murdock Sneep, the owner of the Pixley Hotel thinks Kate is rubbing in her success by sending him a guest. He goes to Kate and tries to organize a merger but she's not interested. While he's there he learns that his best customer for fifteen years is staying at the Shady Rest. Sneep declares war and begins to pay for advertizing, paying Charlie and Floyd ten cents a run to post his ads on and inside the train. Kate pays them twelve cents and they change the signs but then Sneep offers them new uniforms. Then the hotels compete on recreation. The Shady Rest has horseshoes but the Pixley has tennis and so Kate loses guests. Then they compete for food and Kate wins by serving Thanksgiving dinner every day. Sneep comes to the Shady Rest with two suitcases and admits defeat. He asks Kate for a room and so out of sympathy she rents him one. But it's a trick and Sneep releases bees in the hotel causing all Kate's guests to leave. Joe sneaks a skunk into the Pixley Hotel. Sneep goes to Kate and asks to call of the feud but then the owner of the Crabwell Corners Hilton arrives and gives Kate a box of chocolates and Sneep a box of cigars. He encourages them to continue fighting because now his hotel is full.

No comments:

Post a Comment