Monday 22 March 2021

March 22, 1991: The little boy informed me, "I don't have to go to school because I'm a genius!"


Thirty years ago today

            I was fifteen minutes late for work on Friday. I worked with Jim and some guy named Kelly. The people we moved were really nice and they had four charming kids. The guy was a Mason who published a magazine for that organization. 
            All their babies were delivered by Mary Sharpe. The mother breast fed her children until they were four and a half. She said the reason midwives have so many kids is because they are addicted to breast feeding. 
            They bought us deli sandwiches for lunch. 
            That night after we finished moving them into their house we sat down with the whole family for a big meal of Chinese take-out. I was surprised that he was a Mason because I'd somehow had the impression that the Masons were anti-Semitic. He assured me that's not the case and corrected a lot of misconceptions that I'd had. 
            I sat next to their little boy who told me, "I don't have to go to school because I'm a genius!" He was being home schooled. 
            They gave me a cradle, Jim a $30 tip, and sold Kelly a car for $70.

No comments:

Post a Comment