Wednesday 24 March 2021

Schadenfreude


            On Tuesday morning I finished working out the chords for "Quand ça balance" (When Off Balance) by Serge Gainsbourg. I sang and played it in French and English to make sure and then I uploaded it to Christian’s Translations to begin editing the online text to match my document. I should have the blog version published on Wednesday. 
            I weighed 89 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I did my laundry. On the way to put my washing in the dryer I stopped at the Lucky Supermarket to buy avocados and plantain chips. 
            I weighed 88.7 kilos before lunch. I made guacamole with cilantro and ate it with half a bowl of plantain chips. 
            I did third readings of Virginia Woolf’s “The Mark On The Wall” and “Modern Fiction”.
            I weighed 88.8 kilos at around 17:30. 
            I felt sleepy at around 17:45 even though I’d already taken a siesta from 14:00 to 15:30. I decided to try to sleep for an hour but I couldn’t, so I only stayed in bed for fifteen minutes.
            I spent a couple of hours on my essay. Mostly on the fifth paragraph: 

            Consistent throughout Eliot’s descriptions of peasants, ugliness and the lack of grace are conspicuously present. Although she admits that a few members of the upper classes are also unlovely, she does not allow that only some labourers are ugly but implies that they all are. Her inability to perceive beauty in the lower classes but instead only a charming homeliness with which she feels “delicious sympathy” reveals a bias that cannot help but skew her socially reformist intensions. In saying that her sympathy with someone's “monotonous homely existence" is "delicious" she is showing not compassion but rather a degree of schadenfreude. The aesthetic message she conveys is that the upper classes with their occasionally unattractive members should have sympathy for the always grotesque “heavy clowns” of the lower class with their camel like “rounded backs” and “stupid weather beaten faces” that hold “no sense of beauty” and no twinkle of humour. Her way to combat what she considers to be the unrealistically attractive rendering of the happy shepherd is to emphasize unsightliness and to declare it to be the rustic reality. Her insistence on describing the vulgar as both revolting and charming at the same time suggests a kind of perverse fascination. She wants to compel her readers to pity the boor because of his loathsome appearance but never states the truth that members of the lower class are just as beautiful as those of the upper class. In promoting the lie of the ugly bumpkin she is unconsciously creating art. 

            I weighed 87.5 kilos before dinner but it’s hard to believe I lost a kilo in three hours. I always position the scale on the floor where it shows the proper weight of my 4.5 kilo dumb bell. But a slight shift on my uneven kitchen floor changes the weight it registers. It could be that just stepping onto the scale might shift it slightly. 
            I had steamed asparagus, cucumber, mushrooms, tomato, dill and jalapeno with fig balsamic dressing while watching Andy Griffith. 
            In this story Opie has his first crush and it’s on a girl the same age as him named Karen. The problem is that she is stand-offish and doesn’t appear to want to have anything to do with him. When Thelma Lou sees Opie’s lovesick moping she decides to try to make him feel better by hanging out with him. She spends so much time with Opie that Barnie gets jealous. Meanwhile we see that Karen really does like Opie but she’s been playing hard to get. Now that she sees Opie with Thelma Lou she is sad. Opie tells Andy that he’s over Karen because now Thelma Lou is his girl. Andy asks him what he’s going to do with her and he lists the kinds of things that kids like to do, but Andy tells him grown women don’t really like bike riding, climbing trees or watching cowboy movies. They like to take you shopping so you can carry their boxes while they go from place to place trying on clothes. Andy tells him to have a good time. When Opie leaves his father Karen is waiting outside the courthouse and asks him to come with her to a cowboy movie and afterward to ride their bikes. So they go off together hand in hand. They sure made love look easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment