Saturday 18 June 2022

Jesse James Keitel


            On Friday morning I finished working out the chords to “Juif et Dieu” (Jews and God) by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through the song in French. 
            I video-recorded most of my song practice and audio-recorded all of it. I think there might have been a few keepers in the there, as I didn’t play too badly on some songs. 
            I weighed 85.2 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning I scrubbed the rest of the kitchen floor west of the fridge. Next, I’ll clean the area to the right of the fridge in front of the big filing cabinet. That will be the easiest part, and after that, the area to the left of the fridge will be the hardest because it’s very black and I’ll have to clean under and around the radiator. 
            I washed my shorts and put them on the deck to dry but when I checked later the wind had blown them off the railing and down onto the top of the Popeyes sign. To get them I had to use the plastic reacher-grabber that I’d bought from Dollarama years ago. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. When I got home I saw that a plastic bag had gotten wound up in my derailleur. I had to spend about fifteen minutes with my jackknife trying to get it out. I put the bike upside down and figured out which way it was wound and finally got it unraveled. 
            I checked my mail and received a notice from Cancer Care Ontario that the poop test I’d sent in showed no indications of colon cancer, so that’s nice. I had been a little worried because once a few months ago there was blood in the toilet after I’d taken a shit. Maybe that was caused by all the hot sauce I put on my meat. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 17:30. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:50. 
            I spent an hour typing various searches to try to find a video of a rubber belt restraint to download and import to my Movie Maker project of creating a video for my song “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy”, but so far I haven’t found anything. I’ll try again tomorrow. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a slice of roast pork while watching this week’s episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. 
            SPOILER ALERT! 
            Spock’s fiancé T’Pring has been studying human sexuality to better understand Spock’s human side. She takes Spock by surprise and makes him uncomfortable when she tells him that she has been reading Henry Miller and Erica Jong. She also mentions The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. 
            On the edge of Federation space, the Enterprise has come to resupply colonists at the request of Dr. Aspen, the head of a humanitarian mission there. 
            I didn’t find out until reading reviews afterward that Aspen is non-binary and uses the pronoun “they”. It isn’t obvious until a subtle reference at the end. 
            Pike agrees to help and Aspen says they see why Starfleet calls him “The Boy Scout.” He says, “They do not call me that.” Number One points out that it’s in his file. 
            Space pirates have attacked several colonist ships and taken the crews prisoner across the border to perhaps be sold into slavery, which exists outside the Federation. Pike decides to cross into non-Federation space to rescue the colonists. They pick up a distress signal and even if it might be a trap, Pike is ethically compelled to investigate all distress signals. But when Enterprise enters an asteroid field it is caught in a laser net. Aspen suggests that the asteroid that is emitting the most energy is probably the source of the net, but two of the asteroids have equal levels of high energy. Pike tells Spock to go with his gut and pick one. This compels Spock to draw from his human side and it makes him very uncomfortable but he picks the right one and frees the Enterprise. 
            They proceed until they find one of the colonists’ ships, with life signs aboard. Pike and Singh beam onto the ship with an armed team. They find no colonists on board and Enterprise tries to beam them back but the signal is jammed. At the same time, pirates board the Enterprise. Then Pike and his away team are captured by pirates that have been hiding. 
            On the Enterprise the pirates storm the bridge. The bridge crew puts up a fight but Aspen is wounded while saving Spock and they escape together to deck four. What Pike had thought was a colonist ship is the pirate ship The Serene Squall. The leader is a big green guy named Remy the Orion. Pike is tortured to get the Enterprise’s operation codes. He doesn’t give in but offers to cook them a meal while they talk about it. The pirates apparently have food but they are cuisine starved and so they compel Remy to agree. 
            On the Enterprise Nurse Chapel is captured by two pirates but she uses an electronic scalpel as a weapon and overwhelms them. 
            Pike begins to sew dissent between Remy and his crew. He tells Remy he should take more control while he tells the crew that they could do better than him. When Pike is taken back to the cage the Enterprise bridge crew is also confined there. Pike says he’s convinced Remy to sell them to the Klingons and his crew doesn’t like it. Number one says, “Not Alpha Braga Four?” Pike confirms it is. Una explains to the others that they are starting a mutiny. 
            Spock and Aspen find Chapel in engineering and they begin to lock down the ship but suddenly everything is unlocked and they see that Aspen is pointing two phasers at them. They introduce themselves as Captain Angel of the Serene Squall and they now have full control of the Enterprise. It seems the real Dr. Aspen must also be non-binary because Angel says they dropped “them” on a planet. They say there never were any colonists to rescue. 
            Angel's main mission is to contact T’Pring to tell her they will kill her fiancé if she does not agree to exchange him for one of the inmates of her Vulcan rehabilitation centre. T’Pring agrees and meets at the rendezvous point but Spock tells her that he is in love with Nurse Chapel and he demonstrates this by giving her a passionate kiss. T’Pring says she is convinced and they engage in the Vulcan ritual of canceling their wedding engagement. T’Pring withdraws. 
            Angel orders T’Pring’s ship destroyed but the Enterprise’s phasers don’t work. Suddenly the Serene Squall appears and fires on the Enterprise. Captain Pike is at the wheel and tells Angel to get out of his chair. Una has used backdoor codes to paralyze Enterprise’s defense systems. 
            Angel have their own backup transport and they escape to their waiting shuttle. The only time Angel is referred to as non-binary is when Pike jokes that if they catch Angel they will make “them” walk the plank. 
            Spock meets with T’Pring and she says she knew all along that his claim to be in love with Chapel was a ruse. Spock says that the renegade Vulcan that Angel wants to free is his half-brother Sybok. 
            Angel is played by Jesse James Keitel and I was very impressed by her performance. She has that rare ability to be charming and sinister at the same time. The last time I saw someone able to do that so well was Michelle Gomez as Missy on Doctor Who. Her character’s flawless escape and their relationship with Spock’s brother strongly suggest that they will return in at least one future episode. I’m looking forward to seeing Captain Angel of the Space Pirates again. When interviewed about her performance she definitely used “them” to refer to Angel, although Keitel goes by “she” and “her”. Keitel also played Sidney in “Alex Strangelove”, Tam on “Younger”, Ruthie in “Queer as Folk”, she starred in the film “Miller and Son”, and she was cast as Jerrie Kennedy in “Big Sky” making her the first transgender series regular on an ABC series. She also stars in the series “Forever Alone”. 







            

                        Before bed, I did a search for bedbugs and on the wall near the foot of the bed I found a baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment