Wednesday 1 June 2022

The Most Boring Discovery Season Finale Except for Species 10-C


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the second verse of “Valse Dingue” (Mad Waltz) by Boris Vian. 
            I finished working out the chords for “Overseas Telegram” by Serge Gainsbourg, ran through the song in French and English, and uploaded it to Christian’s Translations. I should have it published on my blog tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            Two weeks ago I had an appointment to have my teeth cleaned but the night before that there was a fire on the roof of the clinic and so my appointment was canceled. Since then I’ve called almost every day but no one at the clinic has answered. I tried to call this morning but found I had to renew my phone service for June. So I walked over to Freedom Mobile where there were a couple ahead of me deciding on what phone to buy. I waited five minutes and clearly, they were going to take longer and so finally I spoke up that I would only be two minutes. They decided on which phone and stepped aside. I was out of there two minutes later. I still couldn’t get through to the clinic. 
            I finished emptying the contents of the bottom kitchen drawer and washed it. I also cleaned the area it rolls into and put some of the stuff I’d sorted back in. Most of the bike parts I set aside to throw out, some stuff belonged in the tool drawer, and others in the nail, nut, washer, bolt, and bracket drawer. I didn’t finish putting the rest away but I think it will all fit tomorrow, and then I can wash the outsides of the drawers and cabinets below the counter. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:00. 
            I finished updating my journal at 18:15. 
            In my Movie Maker project, I shaved down the clip of the silent film of the magic show levitation so it fit my line, “Slip a pillow underneath the back to reduce the spinal motion.” After that Brian Haddon sings, “Shock therapy” and so I copied from earlier in the timeline one of the two concert video clips that show him by himself and singing it, and pasted it in at this point. Then I synchronized it and added a special effect. This time I used the one named “Film Age Older.” Then I removed the rest of the instrumental from the Riot Gallery concert footage because it’s much longer than the studio audio. I got it close to the point where I sing, “Now turn the shock power switch on” and I’ll try to synchronize the video with the audio for that line tomorrow. I’m about halfway through the song as I continue to make this video for my song “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy.” 
            I worked on my poem “Monsters In The Dark” from my series “My Blood In A Bug.” 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last slice of roast beef while watching the season finale of Star Trek Discovery. 
            General Nedoye confesses to having helped Tarka and Book in their efforts to destroy the 10-C mining mechanism. Michael has her confined to her quarters. 
            Discovery’s ability to communicate with the 10-C has progressed. It turns out that the 10-C are a type of group heart and mind and they do not understand that humans are separate from each other. This is why they think that the actions of Tarka and Book are those of all of them. 
           T’rina tries to connect with the 10-C telepathically and it’s overwhelming to an unhealthy degree. She does learn that the 10-C are confused and frightened by the human behaviour they are witnessing. 
            Stametz finds a way out of the orb in which Discovery is trapped but it destroys the spore drive and so it would take decades for them to get home at warp speed. Michael says for him to do it. 
            Book and Reno manage to get free and Book knocks Tarka out, but the ship is locked in its course and Book can’t stop it. Reno beams back to Discovery. They need to send a shuttle to ram Book’s ship but it may be a suicide mission. Detmer volunteers but then General Nedoye asks to go. When Tarka becomes conscious, Book unrealistically is able to convince him that his obsession with reaching the other dimension is futile. But it doesn’t matter because Tarka can’t override what he’s done. Nedoye rams the ship and Discovery beams her back. Tarka beams Book off the ship. Tarka’s hope is that the energy of impact that destroys Book’s ship will power the transporter he’s built. Book does not make it back to Discovery and Michael is grief-stricken. 
           The 10-C sends another orb and the bridge crew all board it. They are taken to the 10-C world. The 10-C are like gigantic jellyfish. Saru types communications and Zora translates them. The 10-C wonder why Michael is sad and she explains the loss of Book. Suddenly the 10-C bring Book alive before them. They had intercepted his transport signal and contained him. When the 10-C learn that the DMA is destroying sentient worlds they say they will mine more carefully from now on. But Book tells them they have to stop the boronite mining altogether because even destroying lifeless worlds affects the populated ones. They explain that they need the boronite to power their protective force field. Book tells them they need to stop hiding behind a shield and be connected with others. They promise to make it right. They shut down the DMA and Earth is saved but they use the DMA one more time to create a wormhole so Discovery can go home. 
            This story reads like the writers have taken too many Mindfulness seminars. There’s way too much talking and sharing of feelings. A little bit would have been enough to be moving but this was overkill, making it boring. There was too much useless space in this episode. While it was interesting to finally learn about Species 10-C, this is the most boring season finale in memory. 
            Everybody that committed treason and endangered everybody else seems to have been forgiven because of their “reasons”. 
            US Democratic politician Stacey Abrams plays the President of Earth at the end and she’s a horrible actor. 
            One problem with Discovery is that everybody loves each other too much. I miss the tension between Spock and Bones in the original Star Trek series. There was even more interesting internal conflict in Deep Space Nine. Nobody in the real world gets along that well, and I’m sure they won’t do so even in the future. 
            For five nights in a row I’ve found no bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment