Saturday 4 June 2022

June 4, 1992: I took the risk of leaving the baby sleeping at my place while I went to the supermarket


Thirty years ago today

            Nancy called at 8:00 on Thursday to tell me she would be bringing my daughter down. That was good because wouldn’t have had the money to go up there anyway. I went back to bed, but she called a little later to say that I would have to pick the baby up at Yonge and Bloor. Three hours later she called to tell me to meet her at the Eaton’s Centre. I had wanted to go to a food bank, but it was too late by the time I got her at 15:00. She fell asleep on the subway home. Nancy had lent me $7 and so after I put my daughter to bed, I took the risk of leaving her there alone while I went out to the supermarket where I bought chicken and fruit. When Nancy called at around 21:30 I suggested that she take the streetcar to the main bus stop, and I would meet her there with the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment