Friday 17 June 2022

Lindy Booth


            On Thursday morning I worked out the chords for the intro, the first verse and the beginning of the chorus of “Juif et Dieu” (Jews and God) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I video-recorded most of my song practice and audio-recorded the whole thing with Audacity. Sometimes I do a song flawlessly almost all the way through and then screw up some part near the end. It’s partially due to initial nervousness from a sense of feeling like I’m being watched. I think I’m relaxing a little more with each recording and in past experience, I’ve found that the last recordings I make tend to be the best, so maybe by the end of June, I’ll have some keepers that I can upload to YouTube. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before breakfast. 
            In the late morning, I started getting my place ready for the exterminator. The landlord told me the guy would be here in the afternoon. I was ready before 13:00. I hoped it was Steve coming since he’s the only one with a key. 
            Steve arrived at around 13:30. He said he wouldn’t be using the spores this time because they are still working on the bedbugs. But he thought he was only here a month ago. I thought he came and sprayed the spores in March but when I checked my journal I saw that it was April 6. That makes me much more right than Steve anyway. Steve said I didn’t have to leave this time because he was only going to use the dust. That was a relief but I’d packed up my laundry for nothing. He said another guy will be coming on June 30 to spray the spores again. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. It was a stifling day but not too bad for riding. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:30. 
            I got caught up on my journal a little after 19:00.   
            In my Movie Maker project for making a video of my song “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy” I copied the 1940s shock therapy video to the end of the timeline and edited out everything but the part when the electrodes are being picked up and dipped in saline solution. Then I pasted that clip into the video to correspond with my line, “Add some gelled electrodes to the recipe …” After that I synchronized the studio audio with the concert video of me singing, “… of shock therapy.” The next part might not be so easy. I need something to correspond to the line, “… use a tight rubber belt to hold those spastic jerks.” I’ll start looking tomorrow. 
            I had a small potato with gravy and a slice of roast pork while watching the sixth episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. 
            This story begins with a distress call from a shuttle that is being attacked by a small combat cruiser. When Enterprise intervenes the cruiser attacks even though it is way out of its league. Enterprise tries to take out its weapons without hurting it but it moves into the line of fire and takes severe damage. 
            The passengers of the shuttle are beamed aboard the Enterprise and Pike goes to greet them. There is a woman named Alora, a man named Gamal, and a child. It turns out that Alora is someone that Pike knew ten years ago. It is very clear from both of their looks that the spark is still there. 
            Gamal takes his son to sickbay while President Alora explains that the boy is a holy figure, designated from birth as The First Servant. In two days she will be overseeing his ascension but there are those who want to stop this. Pike offers the Enterprise as a sanctuary for the boy before the event. 
            In sickbay, Dr. Mbenga learns that the boy has quantum bio-implants and on his planet there is no disease of any kind. It turns out that Gamal is a doctor and the medical technology on his planet is far in advance of that of the Federation. He refers to Mbenga’s sickbay as an abattoir. 
            An away team accompanied by Alora beams down to the crash site of the battle cruiser. A coin is found that can only belong to a guard who is sworn to protect the First Servant. That means that one of the guards is a traitor. Pike accompanies Alora to the planet where she calls for an inspection of the guards, asking for them to show their coins. One doesn’t have one and he runs. He takes out several guards before Pike tackles him. Then while Pike holds his phaser on the guard Alora steps in between to ask him why. He says he is protecting the First Servant, then ha grabs Alora and tries to slit her throat but she flips him, lands on him and he is stabbed by his own knife. 
            Singh brings Uhura some data chips that she acquired from the wreckage. It is against Federation protocol to run them through the ship’s translator and so she asks Uhura to translate them.
            Mbenga learns that the quantum bio-implants of Majalis could cure his daughter but Gamal says it is forbidden to share their technology with outsiders. 
            Pike walks Alora to her chamber and she kisses him. He ends up staying and they make love.
            Uhura finds that the language of the attackers matches that of a desolate planet named Prospect 7. It is also linguistically a direct offshoot of the language spoken on Majalis. The question is, if Majalis is paradise, why leave it for subsistence life on a barren planet? 
            Gamal tries to transport away with the First Servant. Pike tries to stop them but they are energized by an outside transporter. They try to get them back but only Gamal returns. Nearby is a battle cruiser. Enterprise catches it in a tractor beam but it tries to go to warp anyway and explodes. Uhura exposes Gamal as having engineered the outside transport of the boy. Spock discovers that the boy is still on the Enterprise. Gamal says he was trying to save his son. 
            The First Servant says it is time for his ascension and so he must return to Majalis. Pike beams down with him and there is a lavish celebration. The boy is taken to the ascension chamber. Pike sees the previous First Servant being carried out. It is the remains of a child drained of all life. The boy sits in a chair and it closes to confine him. Wires extend into the boy’s head and the process begins. Pike tries to stop the ascension but is knocked out. He wakes up in Alora’s chamber. Alora explains that the machine that makes Majalis a paradise needs the neural network of a child to function. They’ve tried to find alternatives for centuries but found nothing. Pike asks if the boy will suffer and she says he will. Pike leaves in disgust. 
            On the Enterprise, Gamal tells Mbenga that he will help him develop quantum bio-implants.
            Alora was played by Canadian actor Lindy Booth (I could tell she was Canadian by her accent). She played Riley Grant in “Famous Jett Jackson”, Agent Hawk in “Silverstone”, Claudia in “Relic Hunter”, Lana Turner in “Life With Judy Garland”, and Stephanie Goodison in “Warehouse 13”. She co-starred in “The Librarians”. In movies she co-starred in “Century Hotel”, and “Rub and Tug”. She starred in “Cry Wolf” and “Behind the Wall”. She played Night Bitch in Kickass 2. 





            I searched for bedbugs before bed and the toothpick smeared the body of one dying or dead one inside a crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment