Thursday 28 July 2022

Bill Melendez


            On Wednesday morning I published my translation of "Valse Dingue" (Mad Waltz) by Boris Vian. I still have to post it on my Boris Vian Facebook page. 
            I memorized the first two verses of "Moi j'te connais comme si j' t'avais défaite" (I Know You as if I Was the Sky That Snowed You) by Serge Gainsbourg and made some adjustments to my translation.
            I weighed 86 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I pulled the fridge out and scrubbed the floor where it sits. The first bucket of water was black before I changed it. There was paint on the floor near the wall and one floorboard had glue left over from when there were tiles. I got most of the paint and glue removed but I'll need another session tomorrow to get the rest. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of lemonade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 85.6 kilos at 17:00. 
            There was an email response to the one I'd sent to my MPP Bhutila Karpoche's office. I was told that the Ontario Seniors Dental Program will probably be phased out next year anyway when the federal dental plan kicks in, which will include seniors in my economic category. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:10. 
            I reviewed the last two videos from the second round of competition between sessions of me playing my song "Megaphor" to decide which one I'll upload to YouTube. On July 13 both tries were okay but not great. I'll let this session through to compare in the next round. On July 14 the one that starts at 5:30 was the best of that day. It was a little off in places but I'll let it through for now. That left ten videos to review again for the third round. I listened again to June 11 and June 23 and they both feel slightly off in moments. I'm hoping for one that's a little cleaner. 
            In the Movie Maker project of creating a video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I was able to synchronize the concert video with the studio audio when I sing "golden mean of shock therapy". This is followed by a slow instrumental, but the instrumental in the concert video is about five seconds shorter than the one in the studio. So now I need to find some outside video that somehow relates to shock therapy but also fits the slow and spacey atmosphere of the instrumental. This might take some time involving various word choices for web searches. 
            I sorted through some more pages from the fourth folder from the filing cabinet that holds the hard copies of my writing. 
            I made pizza on a slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with Basilica sauce and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching four Bugs Bunny cartoons from 1950. 
            In the first story Bugs decides to buy a monkey and a crank organ, but the monkey tries to steal the profits. Bugs goes it alone, pretending to be a monkey while knocking on windows, but is not successful. Meanwhile, the monkey complains about Bugs to his friend the gorilla at the zoo. The gorilla breaks out to get revenge on Bugs. The gorilla confronts Bugs on the ledge. Bugs shows he can put his finger in his mouth and blow to levitate. The gorilla tries it and floats, then Bugs pushes him away from the ledge and tells him he's a big boy and should take his finger out of this mouth. He does so and falls. Then Bugs shows how he can jump from the ledge and bounce back up from an awning. The gorilla tries it but breaks through the awning and the sidewalk. When the gorilla gets back up Bugs pushes him down again. Bugs tries to escape on a ladder but the gorilla keeps pulling him down or up to his level. Bugs tells him, "I never forget a face but in your case, I'll make an exception." Bugs escapes into an apartment where he finds a violin. When the gorilla arrives Bugs plays and the gorilla begins to dance. Bugs gets an idea and next we see that Bugs and the gorilla are in business together with the crank organ and the gorilla replaces the monkey. The dollars roll in. 
            In the second story, Shanghai Sam's ship is at port where the last of his crew has quit. He sets about to attract a new crew with signs offering a free trip around the world. The only person attracted to the offer is Bugs Bunny. Shortly after setting sail Sam hits Bugs over the head with a club and puts a ball and chain on him, forcing him to row the ship in the galley. When Bugs asks Sam to get rid of the ball, Sam throws it overboard and it takes Bugs with it. In the next scene Bugs is back on the boat without the ball and chain. Sam makes Bugs swab the deck but when Bugs writes graffiti on the deck that insults the captain, Sam grabs the mop and cleans the deck. Bugs shouts that the ship is sinking and Sam wants to be first on the lifeboat but Bugs reminds him that the captain goes down with the ship. Sam makes Bugs the captain and paddles away. Bugs dresses the anchor in baby clothes and shouts for Sam to catch the baby. Sam rows back and of course his life boat sinks. When Sam climbs back on board he sees Bugs with digging tools and a map. Bugs says it's a treasure map. Sam steals it and follows the instructions; he digs a hole in the ship and it sinks. Sam patches the ship at dock and it sails again. Sam shoots a cannon down in the hold where he thinks Bugs is and sinks the ship again. After repairs they are back at sea and Sam shoots the cannon up at Bugs in the crows nest but the ball falls and sinks the ship again. After the ship sinks one more time Sam gives up and paddles Bugs to Rio in a rowboat. 
            In the third story Elmer Fudd is hunting Bugs, and Bugs escapes onto the set of an outdoor production of The Barber of Seville. Bugs becomes the barber and sings, "Welcome to my shop, let me cut your mop, let me shear your crop, daintily, daintily." Bugs forces Elmer into the chair and continues singing while he gives him a painful shave. Elmer goes after Bugs with his gun while also singing. Bugs appears in drag as a dancing senorita and using scissors instead of castanets, she cuts Elmer's pants. Elmer shoots but the gun is tied in a knot and he shoots himself back in the barbers chair. Bugs puts various lotions on Elmer's head, massages him with all fours, and makes a salad on his head. Bugs makes like a snake charmer with the snake being an electric razor that attacks Elmer. Elmer gets wonked on the head by a sandbag and Bugs puts him back in the chair. He gives him a fertilizer treatment and Elmer is excited when hair begins to grow on his bald head but then it blossoms with flowers. They begin to come after one another with increasingly more powerful weapons until Bugs gives Elmer flowers, chocolates, and a ring. They get married on stage, climb a high stairs to a fake house, Bugs drops Elmer over the threshold to a big cake on the stage below. Then Bugs says, "Next."
            This was voted as number 12 in a list of the 50 greatest cartoons by a thousand entertainment professionals. 
            I was exposed to a lot of classical music as a child just from watching Bugs Bunny cartoons. 
            In the fourth story, Bugs is a Hollywood star and a reporter calls to ask for his life story. He tells how he was born a rabbit in a human world. He showed musical and dancing talent from an early age and after graduation got a role in Girl of the Golden Vest as a member of the chorus singing, "Oh we're the boys of the chorus, we hope you like our show, we know you're rootin for us, but now we have to go." He is cast in several shows doing the exact same thing. When he gets a starring role he bombs and doesn't want to go back to the chorus. We next see him homeless on a bench along with several out of work stars like Al Jolson and Bing Crosby. The famous vaudeville star Elmer Fudd comes by and asks Bugs what he's doing with these losers. He invites him to becomes partners in his act. Bugs would be the straight rabbit and get the pies in his face. But then one night Bugs changes things and when Elmer asks, "You know how to make antifreeze?" Bugs delivers the punchline, "Yeah, hide her nightgown" and throws the pie in Elmer's face. The angry Elmer goes after Bugs with a gun and Bugs asks, "What's up doc?" Suddenly the audience is laughing and Bugs realizes they've got something. They become a smash hit. They get their first movie and Bugs sings the song, "What's Up Doc." Then Bugs gets his first big movie and he's back in the chorus. 
            The main animator for What's Up Doc was Bill Melendez, who after graduating from art school in 1935 was hired by Disney and worked on Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi. After the 1941 Disney animators' strike, he was hired by Warner Brothers. In the 1960s when Charles Schulz was offered to make TV specials of his Peanuts characters, he only wanted Melendez to be in charge. Melendez directed, animated, and did voices for the first four Charlie Brown specials. He also did the first two Garfield specials. 


            While searching for bedbugs before bed I found two black ones on the floor by the baseboard to the right of the head of my bed. Later I found a baby on my arm and a few more babies on the pillow and the mattress. It looks like I'll have to call the landlord and get him to call pest control again. The spores have been sprayed twice, so I don't know why they haven't killed these monsters off yet. I guess Steve from Orkin would say it's because uninfected bedbugs are coming from another apartment. Only a couple of the bugs I killed had blood inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment