Friday 8 July 2022

Bruce Horak


            On Thursday morning I memorized the third verse of “La nostalgie camarade” (Only Nostalgia My Friend) by Serge Gainsbourg and almost nailed down the last verse. I might have finished the memorization yesterday if not for wasting the morning in a futile effort to recover the audio file that I’d lost because of the power outage. 
            I video-recorded most of my song practice and audio-recorded the whole session with no power outage this time. I re-did my song “Megaphor” four times and I think even the last time was flawed, but I’ll check it out in the video later. I made it through “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” on the first try. There were fumbles but I didn’t land solidly on any dissonant chords. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday, I cleaned the upper part of the inside of my eastern kitchen window. I removed one of the lower sliding windows and cleaned it but didn’t have time to do the rest. 
            I called Sole Survivor to inquire about the sandals that I’d dropped off to be repaired a month ago. Lo had told me that it would take two weeks and that she would email me when they were ready, but she never did. She said I could pick them up tomorrow at 12:30. I had a hell of a time explaining my email address to her. It struck me as odd because I’ve already received emails from them but she just didn’t get it when I said it was “christiantwotimes” because she thought that meant it was “christianchristian”.
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 17:40. 
            I spent a lot of time working on yesterday’s journal because reviewing six Bugs Bunny cartoons was very time-consuming. I didn’t finish until just before dinner. 
            I roasted two chicken drumsticks and had one while watching the ninth episode of Star Trek Strange New Worlds. It begins with a farewell party for Uhura because she has finished her assigned service on the Enterprise. 
            The Enterprise responds to a distress signal and a landing party goes to investigate the USS Peregrine that has crashed on an icy planet. They have to get there by shuttle because ion storms prevent transport. 
            On the Peregrine, they find the mutilated bodies of some of the crew. They find one living human child named Oriana and her Orion companion Pasko. This looks like the aftermath of a Gorn attack and Singh wants to make sure the survivors have not been made into incubators for Gorn eggs. Dr. M’Bengi doesn’t detect anything but it turns out that Pasko is hosting Gorn eggs. He dies as four Gorn hatch. Upon hatching one of the Gorn eats another and then there are three. The away team learns that the Gorn have evolved to be undetected by scans of their hosts. Hemmer gets hit by the spit of one of the babies and it hurts. Among Gorn hatchlings, there can be only one because the strongest kills the rest. As Singh is the only survivor of a Gorn attack she is an expert on the species. 
            The Gorn hate the cold and so the landing party makes the ship cold except for one part in order to trap the remaining one in one area. Singh uses herself as bait to lure the last Gorn hatchling so that Hemmer can freeze it. 
            But then Hemmer isolates himself and declares that he has been infected. He chooses to go out onto the icy planet where the Gorn hatchlings will die upon breaking out of his body. Of course, he dies as well. 
            The episode ends with his funeral and with Singh asking for a leave of absence so she can take Oriana out of Federation space and back to her people. 
            Hemmer was played by Canadian actor Bruce Horak, who like his character is blind. He has only one eye and that has about 9% vision. He is the first legally blind actor to ever appear in Star Trek. He won an award for his role in Evil Dead: The Musical. He is also a painter and in his one-man show “Assassinating Thomson” he creates a painting in every performance. He won a Just For Laughs Frankie Award for “The Canada Show”. 




            For the fourth night in a row, I didn’t find any bedbugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment