Sunday 3 July 2022

Toni Wine


            On Saturday morning I finished working out the chords to “Toi mourir” (Then You Die) by Serge Gainsbourg. Tomorrow I’ll probably upload it to Christian’s Translations. 
            I video-recorded most of my song practice and audio-recorded the whole session. It went fairly well for the first time in a long time. I got through both my songs “Megaphor” and “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” on the first try without any major mistakes. I lost a bit of time replaying “The Accordion” a few times because I’ve been singing, “tune in and turn on” too fast, so trying to be conscious of that caused me to fumble. I eventually got through it. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I went down to No Frills where I bought five bags of grapes, a bunch of bananas, kettle chips, baking soda, and hot salsa. 
            When I got home I washed the bottom part of my blender and put it back on the top shelf that I’d cleaned yesterday. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before lunch. I had five-year-old cheddar on spelt bread with a glass of lemon iced tea. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. It was a very warm day but there was a nice breeze to take the edge off the heat. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos at 17:00. 
            I searched for videos that might fit with my line, “Keep in mind that every patient has a different convulsive threshold” from my song “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy”. I decided I would use an animation of neurons firing but there are quite a few different ones. I settled on one called “Neuron Forest.” I downloaded it with 4K Downloader but it took quite a while and it seemed to stall. I quit and restarted 4K and then it picked up where it left off and finished the download. 
            I made pizza on a roti with ricotta sauce, French fries, and extra-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching episodes eleven and twelve of The Archie Show. 
            In the first story of episode eleven, Veronica’s father donates an old house for the gang to use as their clubhouse. The old Smythe place needs a lot of fixing up but Reggie doesn’t want to do any of the work. Since the house has a reputation for being haunted, Reggie uses that to his advantage. He wants to scare the others away so they’ll forget about the clubhouse project. He uses the secret passages to sneak around while he makes the eyes of a painting move and makes it talk, he attacks in a suit of armour, then he makes a sheet look like a ghost with puppet strings. Archie stumbles into a secret passage and catches Reggie in the act. Then Archie puts on a sheet and makes Reggie think he’s seeing a ghost. He scares Reggie into doing all the renovation work on the house. 
            The Dance of the Week is The Weatherby: Get your middle out in front, point your toes to the side, and be careful not to smile as you glide and slide. 
            The song of the week is “I’m In Love” by Jeff Barry. 
            In story two the gang is dancing at Pop’s when Reggie trips over Hotdog. Reggie calls Hotdog a clumsy dog and Jughead’s pet slinks away. Jughead says Hotdog’s feelings were hurt from being called a dog since he thinks he’s human. Hotdog digs up all his bones and runs away. The gang goes looking for him and follows a trail of bones to the local army base. Hotdog has enlisted and his sergeant thinks he’s a person named “Woof Woof.” The Riverdale base is engaged in war games with Fort Rocks and Hotdog wins the war by singlehanded burying all the blue army’s tanks. They find out he’s a dog but give him an honourable discharge after making him private first class. 
            In the first story of episode twelve, the gang goes to the beach and the guys enter the surf competition. Archie hangs ten by gripping the board with all ten of his toes. Reggie says, “Not bad for a Hodad!” One definition says a Hodad was a surf poser, who would come to the beach with a surfboard but not use it. But the one I always heard was that Hodads were not posers and had no interest in surfing. They were greasers who hung out at the beach and often clashed with the surfers. Jughead and Hotdog go looking for a big wave but below them they accidentally destroy the house that a sawfish is building. The sawfish attacks and starts sawing Jughead’s board, then he saws Reggie’s board in half and he’s in trouble but Archie saves him by surfing under Reggie’s legs and putting him on his shoulders. Jughead and Hotdog win first prize but Jughead admits they couldn’t have done it without the sawfish, and the sawfish agrees. It saws a hole in the pier under the trophy and takes it. 
            The Dance of the Week is “The Surfer”: Put one foot in front of the other, put your arms straight out to the side, move your hips and shake your shoulders like you’re going for a surfboard ride. 
            The song of the week is “Love Light” by Jeff Barry. 
            In a short segment, Mr. Weatherby sees Jughead on his hands and knees on the roof and asks him what he is doing. Jughead says he lost a quarter in the basement. Weatherby asks why he’s looking for it on the roof. Jughead says, “There’s more light up here.” 
            In the second story the gang learns that Dilton has invented a computer named Clyde out of his mother’s washing machine. One can ask it questions or put written questions inside. Jughead asks it what year the war of 1812 was fought. Jughead sneaks into Dilton’s lab to feed his homework to Clyde and it does it all for him. Dilton brings the computer to school to demonstrate and Jughead wants to ask it how Reggie got all his homework done. Dilton turns Clyde on but forgets to anchor it and so it goes rolling through the school. Reggie goes after it to stop it from ratting him out. He confesses to Miss Grundy about cheating and she gives him a lot of homework as punishment. He tries to use Clyde again but it’s been converted back to a washing machine and his homework gets soaked. 
            Betty and Veronica’s singing parts in the Archies were done by Toni Wine, who was best known as a songwriter. Her first success was “My Boyfriend’s Coming Home For Christmas”, then she co-wrote “Tonight You’re Gonna Fall In Love With Me” for the Shirelles. She co-wrote “A Groovy Kind of Love” with Carole Bayer Sager. She co-wrote “Candida” and “Knock Three Times” for Tony Orlando. She is currently playing keyboard and singing backup on Tony Orlando’s 2022 tour. 
            For the third night in a row, I searched for bedbugs without finding any.

No comments:

Post a Comment