Wednesday 6 July 2022

Jane Webb


            On Tuesday morning I memorized the second verse of “La nostalgie camarade” (Only Nostalgia My Friend) by Serge Gainsbourg. 
            I video-recorded most of my song practice and audio-recorded the whole thing. I tried to in-crease the recording volume in Ableton but couldn’t do it. Maybe it’s entirely dependent on the interface gain knob. Maybe it’s already recording loud enough but it sure doesn’t play back as loud as the video volume. 
            During song practice, there was no Toronto Transit road crew working on the streetcar tracks. I guess that was because it was raining and so they couldn’t pour cement into the gaps they’d dug out yesterday. Later that evening before sunset they came and poured the cement. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I finished washing the frame of the eastern window in my kitchen. Tomorrow I’ll start cleaning the glass. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before lunch. 
            Since it had stopped raining, in the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. The clouds were still overcast and the ride was hot and muggy. 
            I weighed 84.5 kilos at 17:30. 
            I got caught up on my journal at 18:18. 
            I uploaded the videos that I shot of this morning’s song practice. I saw in them that I'd tried three times but didn’t make it through “Sixteen Tons of Dogma” without fumbling. I got through “Megaphor” after two tries. Despite and in between the mistakes, it feels like I’m getting better at playing these songs. 
            I had planned on looking for a video to fit with the line, “… start at three-tenths of a second at ten or twenty volts” from my song “Instructions for Electroshock Therapy” but I forgot about it. In-stead I spent all the time before dinner going through file folders containing my writing. I finished sorting through the papers in the folder I was working on yesterday and then started on the last one. There were over a hundred pages of hand-written journal entries that are now digitized and so I threw those away. Tomorrow I’ll remember to research the video but I’ll also finish the last file folder. 
            I grilled three small sirloin tip steaks in the oven and had two with a potato and gravy while watching the final episode of The Archie Show. 
            Jughead introduces the first story and instead of referring to Archie and his group of friends as “the gang” as usual, he calls them “the Archies” outside of a musical context. In this story they all go out to spend the weekend at Jughead’s grandparents’ farm. Jughead’s grandfather is a bit of a hillbilly who is hard of hearing and so he misunderstands a lot of what is said to him. When grandma tells grandpa that Jughead and his friends are coming he thinks someone’s stealing the hens and starts firing his shotgun at Archie’s car. It’s lucky that in addition to him being hard of hearing he is also nearsighted. When Reggie says, “Don’t let us keep you from your work” he thinks he says, “Let us help you with your work” and so he gives them all jobs. But of course, Reggie doesn’t help. Grandma makes pies and puts them in the window, then Reggie steals them but while running away he trips over Hotdog and the pies go flying. When Jughead says “Look, flying pies” grandpa thinks they are foreign spies and begins shooting again. Then when Reggie says he was helping himself to some pies, grandpa thinks he was helping some spies and so he begins shooting at Reggie. While running from grandpa Reggie accidentally does all of Archie and Jughead’s chores. 
            The Dance of the Week is “The Touchdown”: Girls on one side, boys on the other, line up with your baby and run to one another, touch hands, turn around, spin around, start again. 
            The song of the week is “Kissin” by Mark Barkan and Ritchie Adams. 
            In the second story Archie and Reggie are spending all of their attention on Betty while Veron-ica is used to being the focus and doesn’t like this change one bit. Suddenly they learn that Veronica has swapped places with a Nileoovian exchange student named Cleo. Cleo wears a veil and harem pants and the boys find her very exotic. She speaks with a southern US accent like Veronica but says she’s from Southern Nileoovia. Suddenly Cleo has all the attention, even from Jughead. Betty is suspicious and investigates Cleo, to discover of course that Cleo is really Veronica in disguise. But rather than exposing her friend, she helps her get out of the corner into which she’s painted herself. They dress Hotdog in a veil and put him on a plane to Nileoovia and have him wave at the boys from the window. 
            I enjoyed this series because it brought back memories and I liked a lot of the songs. 
            I watched an interview with Filmation president Lou Scheimer, talking about The Archie Show. He says that when they pitched the show to Fred Silverman, the children’s programmer at CBS it was the easiest and cheapest presentation they’d ever done because all they showed him was a stack of comic books. Scheimer had never heard of Archie but Silverman had. The Archie Show was unique because the focus group was teenagers rather than little kids. Most of the kids' shows had characters fighting while The Archie Show put the characters in more relatable situations. 
            The voices of Betty, Veronica, and Miss Grundy were all done by Jane Webb, who started out in radio on shows such as The Tom Mix Ralston Straight Shooters. 
            I searched for bedbugs before bed and found none for the second night in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment