Saturday 3 June 2023

Danielle Mardi


            On Friday morning I finished memorizing "Vieille Canaille" (Old Rascal) by Serge Gainsbourg. On Saturday I'll look to see if anyone's posted the chords. If not I'll work them out. It's kind of an old style folk melody that sounds familiar though I can't name a song it's copying. There are probably hundreds. It's pretty simple. 
            I shot the first video of myself doing song practice with the electric guitar and recorded the two tracks of guitar and vocal in Ableton for the second time. I repeated my songs a few times because there's a lot of fumbling while I get used to playing these songs on the Kramer, so the camera didn't capture a lot of songs. Also the Kramer isn't staying in tune as well as it's supposed to considering how much I paid to get it fixed and set up. I think I'll alternate between the electric and the acoustic every two days. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast, which is the lightest I've been in eight days. 
            Around midday I did my laundry.  
            I weighed 85.4 kilos before lunch. That's the least I've weighed at that time in eight days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. It was my hottest bike ride this year. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 17:00 and that's the lowest my weight has been in eight days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:56. 
            I reviewed the video I shot this morning. I've got to tilt the camera down a little more and turn it more to the left. Maybe also move it back since there's some room behind it. It's going to take some practice for me to be able to find the chords as easily as I do with the acoustic. The only song that sounds absolutely better with the electric is "Megaphor". 
             In Movie Maker I isolated my recording of my performance of "Baby Pop" and made it into a movie. Tomorrow I'll probably upload it to YouTube. 
             I continued to search for video clips to match my line, "refer to current literature" in movies about books of magic. There was one clip that showed a book electrified so that might work, but I'll keep looking for a while. I'm near the end of making the video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" and the finale has to stand out. 
            It was so hot during the day that I had planned to not cook and to just eat a cold porkchop for dinner and some Cheezies. But there was a rain storm that cooled things down a bit and I decided it wouldn't be uncomfortable to cook after all. I had a potato with gravy and a porkchop while watching season 9, episodes 20 and 21 of The Beverly Hillbillies. Later I had cold coffee with a splash of chilled rum. I'm not used to drinking liquor and even though there wasn't much in the glass it took a long time to drink it. 
            In the first story Jane asks Elly May to come and work at the bank because the presence of Jed's daughter will motivate Drysdale to curb his mistreatment of his secretaries. Granny prepares Elly for the job by dressing her the way she thinks secretaries are supposed to dress, which is like a 1920s flapper. Drysdale doesn't recognize her and throws her out until he hears her voice and runs back to pretend he was just kidding. He says he's going to give her a raise but then Elly says that means all the other girls will get raises too. Jane arranges for Elly to move in with her. Meanwhile Drysdale wants revenge on Jane for having hired Elly and so he's taken over the mortgage on the building where Jane lives. He forces the landlord Mr. Finney to let him into Jane's apartment. Not realizing that Elly has moved in, he begins sabotaging Jane's apartment and forces Finney to do so as well. Drysdale breaks her vase and throws her window seat cushions out the window. He tells Finney to nail Jane's Murphy bed shut, cut off the water and the heat and sabotage the plumbing. He tells him to make her life miserable. Later Jed comes to help Elly move in and they discover the damage. Finney has a confrontation with Jed and calls him names because he doesn't realize he's a millionaire. It's all Jane can do to keep Jed from teaching Finney some respect. After Jed leaves, Finney throws Elly's suitcase out the window. Later Finney thrills Drysdale when he tells him that Jane has been thrown in jail. Then Finney says her pretty blonde roommate has also been arrested along with her father and the rest of the Clampett family. Drysdale forecloses on Finney's building, forces him to pay everyone's bail and to sign a confession. Then he makes him the janitor of the building he used to own. 
            In the second story the Clampetts get a telegram from Louellen Aden in Monroe, Louisiana. She was a childhood sweetheart of Jethro. When he was fourteen he made a ring for her out of a horseshoe nail, kissed her and said, "One day we'll share everything". The telegram says she's flying in this morning, she's ready to take the big step and she can't wait to see Jethro. They think it means that she's come to marry him and so Jethro runs away. Jane and Elly pick up Louellen at the airport and take her to the Clampett mansion. Louellen makes it clear that she has no interest in marrying Jethro. She's come to Hollywood to try to become an actor. Jed says that Drysdale can probably help her with that. There hasn't been any mention for the last couple of seasons that Jed owns a movie studio. If he still did they wouldn't have to go through Drysdale. Jed takes Louellen to Drysdale's office but he's not there so Jed sits her down on Drysdale's couch and leaves to go look for him. Drysdale emerges from the bathroom and begins yelling at her. She begins to cry and Jed walks in. Drysdale covers his ass again by claiming he knew she was an actor and he was just testing her and she passed. He arranges for a screen test the next day with Louellen and Steve McQueen. Drysdale tells Jane she'd better make herself look like Steve McQueen by tomorrow. 
            Louellen Aden was played by Louellen Aden, who was Miss Louisiana Tech and Miss Dogpatch latter in 1970. One of the prizes from winning the beauty contest was to appear on the Beverly Hillbillies. It doesn't look like she did much on television or film besides this. 
            Drysdale's other secretary, Helen Thompson was played by Dannielle Mardi, who started performing ay the age of four as the warm up act for the audience of the Gene Autrey Show. Her father was Autrey's guitarist Noel Boggs. She was Miss Showgirl International in Las Vegas in 1969 and that led to her role on The Beverly Hillbillies. She appeared on Laugh In, Carol Burnett, Dean Martin, and had supporting roles in several films. She earned a PHD in Philosophy from the University of California. She was an associate professor for a while and then began making documentaries for PBS. She did Nachtwatch with Audrey Hepburn and El Despitar en lod Campos with Andy Garcia.




No comments:

Post a Comment