Saturday 3 June 2023

June 3, 1993: Tom Smarda played guitar while I sang my poetry


Thirty years ago today 

            On Thursday a little after 7:00 I was still in bed when Nancy came by with my daughter. I got her to bring me things in bed so I didn't have to get up right away, but eventually I had to. She ate some millet and I had coffee and a bit of a headache. We went down to the payphone where I called Marie and she said to come over at 15:30. We walked on Queen and went into the drop-n until my daughter threw sand in some other kid's face. She fell asleep on the way to Marie's place and we got there an hour early. I let her sleep in my arms in the park until it was time and then the sirens stirred her. She was awake when we got to Marie's door. We were there for two and a half hours. I gave Marie her belated Christmas presents and we arranged a schedule for me to come and teach her yoga. My daughter blew her a kiss when we left. We went to Harvey's for a milkshake and fries and then we met Nancy at Bathurst. I got a coffee and went to do a difficult standing pose at work. After work I walked to Bloor Street where I ran into Tom Smarda. We went down to Queen and Niagara where we practiced with him backing me up on guitar and then we went to Mudds Cabaret. After we performed on the open stage the applause seemed more than polite. I didn't get to bed until 4:00 on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment