Friday 16 June 2023

Everett Sloane


            On Thursday morning I worked out the chords for the intro to "Que tu es impatiente, la mort" (Death You're So Impatient) by Boris Vian.
            I finished memorizing "Lulu" by Serge Gainsbourg and searched for the chords but no one had posted them. Tomorrow I'll start working them out. 
            I played the acoustic guitar in song practice and recorded it. As usual I did several takes of "Megaphor" and "Sixteen Tons of Dogma". For the latter I only made it to the end once. I don't know if it was worth keeping and I'll check it later. I played a pretty good take of "The Accordion" but I was out of tune and so I did it again and that seemed okay too. We'll see. 
            The new monitor seems enormous like sitting in the front row of a movie theatre. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I glued two thin pieces of fiber board on top of one another in the depression in my kitchen floor that I'd cut them for. I put my concrete block on top to weigh it down for a day. 
            I started ripping out the last of the tiles on my kitchen floor using a hammer, a screwdriver and a putty knife. I got one tile out. There are four more in front of the counter and two in front of the stove. There are more under the stove but I haven't decided to remove those yet. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch, which is the lightest I've been at that time in nine days. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and on the way home I stopped at Freshco. I bought two bags of green grapes, three bags of cherries, a pack of blueberries, a pack of raspberries, three bags of skim milk, honey, orange juice, salsa, a pack of sponge towels, 2 in 1 shampoo, two bags of full city dark coffee, Sunlight dish detergent, Triscuits, and a lint roller. 
            I weighed 85 kilos at 18:00. That's the least I've weighed at that time in thirteen days. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 19:00. 
            I reviewed the video I shot this morning and a lot of the songs turned out okay. I think I did the best take of "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" since I started on June 1. I'll do these recordings until July 15 and that will be enough for this year. Hopefully some of these songs are worth uploading to YouTube so I can start practicing new ones. 
            I uploaded to YouTube the July 15, 2022 video of me playing "Comme un boomerang". 
            I imported the audio of my July 4, 2022 song practice into Audacity and amplified the volume higher than I've done before. As far as I know the only song I'm taking from it is "Like a Boomerang" and that didn't clip at the higher volume. Tomorrow I'll import the new audio and the part B video for that date into Movie Maker and start synchronizing them. 
            I finished watching the 1926 German silent film "Faust" and cut out the end in my copy. I only saved about a minute of clips near the beginning to edit some more and use in the video for my song Instructions for Electroshock Therapy. I'll work on that tomorrow. 
            I had a potato with gravy and two chicken drumsticks while watching season 1, episodes 20 and 21 of Petticoat Junction. A few minutes into the first episode, but fortunately after I'd finished eating, the landlord showed up with Yogi to fix my sink. I was glad he'd brought a professional but I suspect he wouldn't have brought him if not for the fact that our water heater broke down today and he needed him to fix that. 
            In the first story The Shady Rest is in financial trouble and Kate's last guest just checked out. She needs $200 for the mortgage payment and gives Joe her gold locket that her late husband gave her and tells him to sell it. When Joe gets to Hooterville he meets two women named Gertrude and Henrietta who got lost looking for Madame Bovary's fat farm. Joe immediately tells them that The Shady Rest is the most exclusive reducing farm in the country and convinces them to come with him. He tells them that Kate is 75 years old and her daughters are in their 30s. Unlike most weight loss resorts they are fed hearty meals like chicken and dumplings. Joe tells them that the secret health food is the turnip greens. For exercise he puts the ladies to work doing his chores like chopping wood and painting. When Kate sees this she confronts Joe and he confesses the plot. She says she's going to tell the truth to the ladies but before she does that Joe warns the women that Kate is jealous of their progress and that she's afraid they're going to discover her secret. So when Kate tells them the truth they say they are going to stay anyway. They begin spying on Kate to find out her secret. When they see her crawling on the floor looking for a lost button they think it's a special reducing exercise and begin imitating it. Next they see Kate preparing a special meal to keep the family's mother cat healthy using bone meal and vitamins. They don't realize it's for the cat and they eat it. Then they see Kate and Betty Joe down by the Cannonball which has a steam leak. They watch from the bushes as Kate and Betty are standing in the steam and they think that's the secret. When Kate and Betty leave the train Gertrude and Henrietta go to stand in the steam. In the end the ladies figure out that Joe tried to trick them but they found their stay at the Shady Rest so charming that they decide to pay anyway. 
            In the second story Mr. Bedloe returns and this time his plan is to sell the Cannonball to Phillip Waterhouse a millionaire collector of antique trains. The eccentric old man only talks through his secretary Mr. Cassidy. At first Kate has Charlie and Floyd make the Cannonball run poorly to discourage the purchase. But then they learn that Waterhouse likes antique trains that need repair because his hobby is fixing them. Kate tells them that Floyd and Charlie have to get the train running for Waterhouse's ride back so they'll have to wait at Shady Rest. Kate realizes she needs to separate Waterhouse and Cassidy but luckily that's easy because he's very attracted to Billie and Bobbie and goes with them as they walk 8 kilometers to borrow a cup of sugar. Joe tries to sell Waterhouse what he claims is an antique ashtray but the cranky old man breaks it. This makes Kate mad and she begins treating the old man like a spoiled child. She takes a broom to him and locks him in his room. Later when she brings him a meal he refuses to eat but she threatens to spank him. He waits until she leaves and eats it with gusto. The next day Waterhouse tells Bedloe the Cannonball is not the train he's looking for and threatens to have Bedloe arrested for fraud. He winks and waves at Kate from the train as it is leaving. 
            Waterhouse was played by Everett Sloane, who had an early interest in acting and after high school performed in stock theatre. But he was discouraged by poor reviews and instead became a Wall Street runner. After the stock market crash in 1929 he started acting on radio and his voice earned him steady work. He was heard on thousands of episodes. He became the voice of Hitler on "March of Time" serials. He played Bulldog Drummond's sidekick Denny on the radio show Impossible Mysteries. He played Sammy on the radio sitcom The Goldbergs. In 1935 he made his Broadway debut. In 1941 he joined Orson Welles's Mercury Theatre troupe. He co-starred in The Lady from Shanghai, and Patterns of Power. He did voice work on Dick Tracy and Johnny Quest cartoons. He wrote the lyrics for "The Fishin Hole", the Andy Griffith Show theme song, which were never used. He committed suicide in 1965 because he was going blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment