Wednesday 14 June 2023

Dennis Hopper


             On Tuesday morning I finished transcribing the first set of chords I found for "Que tu es impatiente, la mort" (Death You're So Impatient) by Boris Vian. I'll search for more on Wednesday.
            I memorized the first verse of "Lulu" by Serge Gainsbourg and made changes to my translation. 
            I played the acoustic guitar during song practice and video and audio recorded the session. I did several takes of both Megaphor and Sixteen Tons of Dogma as usual. I only made it to the end of Sixteen Tons of Dogma once but I think some of the chords were screwed up at the end. 
            When the camera battery ran out I turned the microphone stand to face the window so I could look outside while finishing my set. But the guitar chord was hooked on the bottom of the mic stand so when I moved it forward it pulled on the audio interface and caused it to hit the off button on top of my computer. I grabbed the interface to stop it from falling off the top of the computer and I think I must have hit the monitor because now it has a few coloured vertical lines 10 cm from the left from top to bottom and several coloured horizontal lines along the top. I guess I need a new monitor now. I lost my audio recording in Ableton. I tried to recover it like I did after the power outage last year but couldn't figure out how to do it this time either. My June 13 recording is a right-off. I guess I'll do two more sessions with the acoustic to make up for it because I sang in French yesterday and will sing in French tomorrow and I want each instrument to be used for both languages so I get one French and one English day for the Martin and the same for the Kramer. This problem really cut about two hours out of my morning. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before a late breakfast after 11:00, which is the lightest I've been in the morning in twenty days. 
            I weighed 86.1 kilos before lunch. 
            After my siesta there was no time for a bike ride because I had to clean my place up for the tenant meeting and the talk by Cole Webber from Parkdale Community Legal. I cleaned the bathroom, my kitchen table, and mopped the kitchen floor. Cole arrived with a colleague right on time but nobody from my building came. Sean had said he would come and Shankar seemed positive about it. I knocked on their doors but there was no response. We chatted for about fifteen minutes and Cole said he's willing to come back on a weekend. That would be better for David. It's disappointing that I can't get my fellow tenants to realize we'd be stronger united, but I guess most of them have no issues. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos at 17:15. 
            At around 18:00 Shawn knocked on my door and asked what happened. It turns out that he'd thought that I'd told him that the meeting was at 17:30 instead of 17:00. He said he might be free some Sundays when he doesn't go with his partner up to his father's cottage. Maybe I can organize another meeting with both David and Shawn attending. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:22. 
            Even though I can't use it because Ableton was caused to crash, I reviewed the video I shot this morning just for my own self study. Sometimes when I watch myself playing guitar on video I think, "That person really knows what they're doing. But then a clumsy version of me from another universe invades my body and screws everything up. I think I got one chord wrong on the final take of Megaphor and a few wrong at the end of Sixteen Tons of Dogma. It's too bad I lost the Ableton audio because my takes of "The Time of the Yo-Yo", "The Accordion", and "Joanna Dancing Lightly" weren't bad. 
            I synchronized the mic audio with the video of part B of my July 15, 2022 song practice. I isolated "Comme un boomerang" and made it into a movie. Tomorrow I'll upload it to YouTube. 
            In the Movie Maker project for creating a video of my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I continued editing my copy of the 1926 German silent film "Faust". There are just five minutes left to look through and then I'll decide which clips I'll use for the main video. 
            I grilled eight chicken drumsticks and had two with a potato and gravy while watching ten more minutes of the partially downloaded episode of Arrest and Trial; and season 1, episodes 16 and 17 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In "Arrest and Trial", Telly Savalas shows up at a restaurant with a gun to harass the guys that've been harassing him. But later when he's out the guys come to his house and his wife is hurt and hospitalized. 
            In the first Petticoat Junction story Bobbie Joe is in love with a Beat poet named Alan Landman who hates the world. Billie Joe tries to flirt with him and asks where he's from. He tells her Greenwich Village and she responds, "Bobbie Joe said you were from New York. She gets everything wrong." He tells her off for being plastic. Bobbie takes him up to the Shady Rest and he explains that his poetry is a scream of protest. He sounds the alarm and hangs the bell on the cat. He shouts in the atrophied ear of a sleeping America. Kate arranges for a poetry reading and discussion after dinner. Kate recites something from the Rubaiyat of Omar Kayan: "Here with a loaf of bread beneath a bough / a flask of wine / a book of verse / and thou beside me singing in the wilderness / and wilderness is paradise now". Floyd comments that it's a bit risque because it's about a couple out in the woods together. Joe says they might be married. Floyd says that no married couple would go into the woods together. Alan reads his latest poem: "A gut thin whining wind / defiles the groaning bones of neon blinded seekers / after murky morning / The burning mud explodes / a screaming pathway / through hollow thunder of agony / I fall / I fall / and cheated dreams / a toenail splits". Bobbie thinks it's brilliant. Joe wonders what it means if anything. Alan says, "It means this is a cemetery and you are all corpses", then he leaves. Bobbie follows him. He quotes E.I. Boyer for her, "The wind is a switchblade knife slashing at the polluting smokestacks of urban insanity / Nature's rumble with the defiling beetle called man". Kate is worried about Bobbie falling for Alan because she fell for someone like him once, and so she tries to discourage her. Kate has a talk with Alan who says he's going to New Orleans and he'll send for Bobbie. He is against working and just plans on living with his musician friends. The next day Kate welcomes an executive who runs a dog food company and is willing to pay $2000 for a poem to sell it. Suddenly Alan shows he's willing to sell himself after all as he tries to come up with something for the ad. Bobbie is disillusioned with Alan and that is what Kate was aiming for when she had the travelling salesman pretend to be an executive. 
            Alan was played by a very young Dennis Hopper. His first film role was a small part in Rebel Without a Cause during the filming of which he became good friends with James Dean. He admitted to being a James Dean imitator throughout his career. In 1969 he had a surprise success as a director when the low budget film Easy Rider became a sensational hit. He followed that with the unsuccessful "The Last Movie". In 1980 he directed and starred in Out of the Blue. In 1986 he co-starred in David Lynch's Blue Velvet. In 1988 he directed "Colours". In the 90s he co-starred in Super Mario Brothers, True Romance, Speed, and Waterworld. In the 2000s he co-starred in The Night We Called it a Day, and The Keeper. He was also a talented photographer and painter and had one of the most extensive collections of modern art in the US. Charles Bukowski wouldn't let him direct Barfly because he considered him to be a Hollywood phony. 




            In the second story Kate receives a cheque for $500 from an endowment that her late husband set up for Billie so she could go to medical school. But Billie wants to use it to go to Hollywood and try to become a star. Kate plans to appeal to Billie's hunger for glamour by having a handsome young doctor from Hooterville come to the Shady Rest while Joe pretends to be sick. Kate stalls the doctor until Billie returns from a date. She wants Billie to catch the doctoring bug while she observes the attractive doctor examining Joe, but she faints when he draws blood. Meanwhile everyone is dancing the Hooterville Hop and in the end so is the doctor. The doctor was played by Adam West.

No comments:

Post a Comment