Thursday 1 June 2023

June 1, 1993: At The Last temptation I performed with a microphone for the first time


Thirty years ago today 

            On Tuesday I got up around 9:30 and ate a couple of oranges. I took my writing book out to the Second Cup and wrote until 11:30. Then I caught the streetcar downtown. I called Nancy and she was still being an asshole but we arranged to meet. I worked at Central Technical School until about 13:45. I got a booking from Michael Gerry before leaving and then went home long enough to do a song list and twelve minutes of cleaning. I headed for the subway where I called Marie and she decided she would rather meet on Thursday than on Wednesday. I waited half an hour on the eastbound platform for Nancy to show up with my daughter. We went home and got shovels to take to the playground. We watched some boys play hockey, then we went home and painted before going back out to take the streetcar downtown. She fell asleep on the way. Nancy was at Eaton Centre but her mother had the stroller in the car and so I held her while she slept until Apollonia showed up half an hour later. After my daughter was gone I walked to Spadina and into Kensington Market looking for The Last Temptation. I walked all around the market before I found it. At the poetry open stage I recognized almost everyone from Mudds Cabaret. I read almost right away and it was the first time I'd ever performed with a microphone. I read three pieces and then sang my poem "Calendar Girl". Later on I read a couple more poems and it went over really well. The Moon was almost full.

No comments:

Post a Comment