Sunday 4 June 2023

Wreckording


            On Saturday morning I memorized the fourth verse of "Que tu es impatiente, la mort" (Death You're So Impatient) by Boris Vian. There are three verses left to learn. 
            I searched for the chords for "Vieille Canaille" (Old Rascal) by Serge Gainsbourg and found three sets. I'll look some more tomorrow and then start working them out. 
            I started audio recording and video recording my song practice. Both tracks were showing wave forms at first and so I didn't check as I was playing. But after the fifth song, "The Accordion" I looked and saw that the guitar wasn't showing a wave form. It wasn't a problem with Ableton because the guitar wasn't lighting up the interface either. The microphone showed a wave form so I switched the guitar to the mic hole but it still didn't work. It couldn't be the cable because it was brand new but I switched to the old one just in case and there was still no signal. I'm thinking it must be the battery for my guitar pickup. There's a good chance it had been in the guitar at The 12th Fret for a year or more without being changed, so I'll buy a new one today. If that doesn't solve the problem there must be something wrong with the pickup and so I'll have to take it back to the store. It's not as if I'm behind schedule compared to last year. Last year I made recordings on June 1 and 2 but they weren't useable. I didn't really get the interface functioning until June 8 and so if it's just the battery I'll be out ahead by almost a week starting tomorrow. 
            I had three notices from Google that three of my blog posts from four years ago now have warnings for sensitive content. What they all have in common is that the phrase "blow job" appears. It's not a big deal because they aren't deleting the posts from public view. One just has to click that one is willing to read the dangerous words and then one can read them. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I walked over to the hardware store to buy a rechargeable nine volt battery for my Martin pickup and a recharger. It's a multiple recharger that handles AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. The battery and the charger altogether cost me $77.95. Later I put the new battery into my guitar and saw that a dead batter had indeed been the problem, so tomorrow's recording of my song practice should be glitch free. 
            I went to No Frills where I bought five bags of cherries, some bananas, a pack of five chicken legs, dental floss, olive oil, a jug of orange juice, and a container of skyr. 
            I weighed 86 kilos before lunch. I had a toasted Montreal style bagel with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. When I returned Benji and Shankar were chatting outside our building. I asked Shankar if he would come to a meeting about tenant organizing at my place. He said he would, although both he and Benji want to move into Ontario housing and Benji wants assisted living in a seniors home. Shankar had been the last person I'd been waiting to talk to about it. I emailed Cole to ask him to set up a meeting. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:15. 
            I reviewed the video of this morning's song practice. I only shot 29 minutes because since the guitar pickup wasn't working there wasn't much point recording more. I'm still fumbling on the new guitar with chords I was hitting easily on the Washburn. The one song that stood out in the video is "The Accordion" but the guitar probably wasn't working on the audio recording. 
            I uploaded my performance of "Baby Pop" to YouTube and separated my translation, "Dancing to Baby Pop" from the June 11, 2022 song practice recording. I'll probably have that uploaded to YouTube tomorrow. 


            I continued to search for video clips to match my line "refer to current literature". I'm not going to look much more. I've probably got enough to use for that line and the subsequent part, "why don't we open our books to page 34", but I want to make sure there isn't something better. 
            I made three large lean ground beef burgers and grilled them in the oven. I had one on a Montreal style bagel with chili sauce, Dijon, horseradish, and dill pickle. I ate it with a beer while watching season 9, episodes 22 and 23 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In the first story Elly May is still working as a secretary for Drysdale but she's incompetent at all secretarial duties. Jane only brought her in because Jed's daughter serves to keep Drysdale from mistreating the other employees. Jed comes in with a cheque for $12 million but misplaced it. Granny comes in and drives Drysdale crazy telling the long adventure of what happened to the cheque as different ones of Elly's animals kept getting hold of it. Back at Jane's apartment where she's living with Elly, the landlord, Mr. Phinney is now the landlord again with no explanation. Last time Drysdale foreclosed on the building and demoted Phinney to janitor. A tenant named Dick Bremerkamp is an unemployed actor, singer, and dancer and he's behind on the rent. He sees Elly with Jane and is smitten. He decides to get to Elly by romancing Jane. He learns that Jane is a bird watcher and introduces himself as an ornithologist with the name Robert Audubon, claiming to be a descendant of Audubon the bird painter. Jane falls for him. Next Robert goes to see Drysdale who upon hearing he's a bird watcher wants to throw him out. But then Robert lets it slip that his full name is Robert Audubon Getty and a relative of the multimillionaire. Suddenly Drysdale is falling all over himself to please Robert. He lets him take Elly birdwatching and Robert hopes to get away without Jane but Jane shows up and Robert escapes for the roof. Jane follows. 
            In the second story Robert has arranged to give Elly a driving lesson. Afterward he needs a tranquilizer. He learns from Elly how much Granny admires Davy Crockett and so he goes to the Clampett mansion pretending to be Robert A. Crockett, a descendant of Davy. He gives Granny what he claims to be Davy's coonskin cap. Granny and Jed love him. He goes back to his building where he takes photos of Elly sunbathing on the roof until Jane shows up and he runs away.

No comments:

Post a Comment