Thursday 8 June 2023

Henry Calvin


            On Wednesday morning I memorized the sixth verse of "Que tu es impatiente, la mort" (Death You're So Impatient) by Boris Vian. There's just one verse left to learn. 
            I worked out the chords for the first two verses of "Vieille Canaille" (Old Rascal) by Serge Gainsbourg. The rest are probably the same. 
            I video and audio recorded my song practice with me playing the electric guitar. I didn't do as many takes of "Megaphor" and "Sixteen Tons of Dogma" as I did yesterday. The jack on the cable for the guitar cord that I bought last week sometimes comes loose in the electric too. Tomorrow I'll try the cable I bought yesterday in the acoustic and see if that solves the problem of the guitar cutting off. If it works I'll try it in the electric as well. 
            I weighed 86.1 kilos before breakfast.
            Around midday I went over to the hardware store where I bought the cheapest humane mousetrap. One puts peanut butter in a hole at one end and when the mouse crawls in it tilts and shuts the entrance. I asked if it works and the employee says that the Tibetans buy them all the time and haven't returned them yet. I also got a pack of three brushes: plastic, stainless steel, and brass to use on my rock encased amethyst; and a roll of blue duct tape to fix the door in the hall between the west side of the building and the east. It gets stuck without duct tape over it to push in the latch bolt and the blue matches the new door colour. 
            I weighed 86.2 kilos before lunch, which is the heaviest I've been at that time in nine days. 
            I had a toasted Montreal style bagel with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of limeade. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. There's still smoke in the air from the wildfires and I was getting small particles in my eyes. I could smell it quite strong this morning. 
            I weighed 85.7 kilos at 17:00. 
            I spent a bit of time brushing the amethyst with a wire brush. It does free up some of the crystals that are just below the surface. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:26. 
            I reviewed the video I shot in the morning. It's hard to know how the electric guitar sounds when the camera is just picking it up from the computer speakers. I won't really know until I listen to the Ableton recordings. 
            I reviewed the videos of my performances of "Boomerang" and "Like a Boomerang" from June 29 to July 7 of last year. For "Boomerang" on June 29 it was cut off, on July 1 it didn't make it into the video, on July 3 it was pretty good, on July 5 there was too much traffic noise, on July 7 it was okay. This session is already synchronized so I'll check Movie Maker in the final assessment to see if this take comes out ahead. For "Like a Boomerang" on July 2 it was pretty good but with a bit of traffic noise, July 6 was pretty good, and July 6 was cut off. 
            I converted the MP4 video of the 1926 German silent film "Faust" that I downloaded from YouTube into AVI so I can import it to Movie Maker. Tomorrow I'll render it as a movie in Movie Maker's WMV format so I can use clips from it in my video for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" without glitches. 
            I made pizza on naan with Basilica sauce, a cut up beef burger, and five-year-old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching season 1, episodes 6 and 7 of Petticoat Junction. 
            In the first story there is an infestation of mosquitoes because of exceptionally warm weather. The only two guests at the Shady Rest are two traveling salesmen who are threatening to check out. Kate has ordered screens and is expecting them on the next train but when the Cannonball arrives there are only four cases of Lord and Lady Violet Cologne. Kate had given Joe $70, which was Billie Joe's college money, to buy the screens, but instead he ordered the cologne because the magazine ad said he'd make a killing selling the cans. It was at this point that it was obvious how the story was going to end. The cologne stinks and Joe can't sell it. But in the end it's discovered that the cologne kills mosquitoes and so the salesmen buy the cases and Kate makes back the money that Joe squandered and then some.
            In the second story there is an annual horseshoe pitching tournament being held at the Shady Rest. The champion is Pixley Fats and he has never lost. But it is discovered that Betty Joe has a secret talent for horseshoe pitching and she never misses. Kate enters Betty Joe in the competition and she wins her way up to the final match with Fats. The night before the match Kate tells Betty that people like Pixley Fats have nothing but the one thing they win at, whereas people like her have a loving family. She says it would shatter Fats if he were to lose. She's obviously hinting that Betty should throw the game and the next day she does just that after tying him up to the last horseshoe. Fats is so nervous that he comes just short of the post for the first time. Betty deliberately throws wide, making Fats the champion again. Then Kate tells Betty that she won on the inside. Why did she enter her daughter in the tournament in the first place if she wanted her to lose? It reminds me of the Health book I had in Grade 5. It looked like it was published in the 1940s and there is a part that uses the example of tennis and encourages girls to let boys win so as to not shatter their egos. 
            Pixley Fats was played by Henry Calvin, who began on stage, appeared on Broadway and hosted a radio show in 1950. He appeared in his first movie, "Crime Against Joe" in 1956. He played Sergeant Garcia on the 1957 Disney adventure show "Zorro". He had a rich baritone singing voice and sometimes sang on Zorro as well as many of the other Disney shows and movies in which he appeared. He co-starred in "Toby Tyler". He sang “Never Smile at a Crocodile" in "Peter Pan". He played Gonzorgo in "Babes in Toyland". He did a skit on the Dick Van Dyke show in which he and Van Dyke impersonated Laurel and Hardy.



No comments:

Post a Comment