Wednesday 28 June 2023

Instructions for Electroshock Therapy: the Video


            In the late 1980s I was moving furniture for the Ontario Government and one day while clearing out an office at the old Lakeshore Mental Hospital I found in a desk a manual with the title "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy". The booklet contained step by step instructions for performing the procedure that now has the sugar coated name of electroconvulsive therapy. I took the manual and turned the instructions into a poem. In 1993 when I began performing my poetry in public this poem like many others came out of my voice in song form. Around 2003 my band Christian and the Lions made a studio recording of the song. Two years ago I started making a music video of the song, synchronizing the studio recording with old concert footage, adding some of my own animations of electric cords and creative placements of old movie samples. 
            I hope people watch it and comment. I'm very proud of this movie because I put a lot of work and a lot of creative energy into it and also because it's a very successful representation of the meaning of the song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment