Monday 26 October 2020

October 26, 1990: I picked up my final cheque for $475 and ended my career as a landscaper


Thirty years ago today 

            I got up at 6:14 and rushed to pick up my final paycheque, hoping that Henry would still be there when I arrived. I decided to catch the eastbound car since there was none in view on its way west. As I rode I looked ahead at intersections to see if there were any northbound buses to take me up to the subway, but there weren't and so I stayed on until Yonge. I made pretty good time. 
            I got there just in time to get my cheque. It included vacation pay and so it was for $475. 
            I went to the muffin place, had coffee and read the papers. 
            I thought that since I was already almost at Finch I might continue north to Richmond Hill to go to Moulinex and buy the missing part from the blender I'd found. But when I called the transit companies that could take me there I learned that they didn't have a service that would take me to that address after rush hour. So I skipped it and headed home. 
            Nancy was still there when I arrived. I went to bed and got up in the afternoon. 
            I called the post office to find out about working there during the Christmas rush and found out their hours for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment