Friday 16 September 2022

Abraham Sofaer


            On Thursday morning I published my translation of "Martine boude" (Martine Broods) by Serge Gainsbourg. There are four more of his songs for me to learn in the 1982 file. 
            Around midday, I finished washing the grooves where the right-hand sliding windows go in my living room. I only had time to clean one of the sliding windows, but I should be able to get the rest done on Friday. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown. It was cool enough to wear a long-sleeved shirt but warm enough to keep it unbuttoned. On the way home I stopped at Freshco where I bought five bags of grapes: some red and some green, a pack of strawberries, a pack of raspberries, a pack of blueberries, some bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, a small container of skyr, and a jug of limeade. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos at 17:40. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:50. 
            I started reading a chapter on forms of address from A Survey of Modern English. I thought that I'd begun it yesterday but the website wouldn't allow the whole document to be downloaded and asked for the page numbers. I indicated the exact page numbers as were indicated in the table of contents but ended up with different ones. I got the right ones downloaded before bed last night. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three chicken drumsticks while watching episode nine of Ben Casey. 
            This story is the first one in which there is only one medical case being dealt with. One of the main supporting characters who appear in every episode is the outgoing orderly named Nick. He is usually there for comic relief but this time he is more directly involved. His friend and neighbour Krikor is in the psychiatric ward while he waits for the court date when his brother, daughter, and son-in-law will argue for him to be committed to a mental institution for the rest of his life. Nick asks Casey to examine Krikor and Casey reluctantly agrees. But after seeing Krikor, Casey thinks it is possible that Krikor's delusions are caused by a brain tumour. Casey however can't perform any tests without the family's permission, and they, especially Krikor's son-in-law, are determined to have Krikor institutionalized. Krikor's brother is concerned that Krikor might die from the operation, but Casey argues that the risk is better than a lifetime in a mental hospital. Krikor's brother thinks it is better to be alive no matter what. In court, Casey is brought in as an expert witness and he argues for surgery. The judge agrees and so Casey operates. A tumour is found and removed but when Krikor wakes up he continues to speak in a deluded manner. He tells his brother he owns twenty-one hotels all over the world. The family confronts Casey about Krikor's lack of change. Casey tells them that recovery takes time since Krikor's brain is still affected by the tumour that had been there. Later Krikor tells Casey he is going to give him a hospital and $500,000, but then he stops and thinks that maybe he doesn't have that much money after all. 
            Krikor was played by Abraham Sofaer, who started out as a schoolteacher in Rangoon and London but then took an interest in acting. He eventually became a star of the West End and Broadway, both as an actor and director. His first film role was in The Dreyfus Case. He tended to play eastern ethnic characters in supporting roles in many exotic films like "Quo Vadis". In the 1960s he began to work a lot in television and he is best known as Haji, the Master of all Genies in "I Dream of Jeannie". He acted in two episodes of the original Star Trek series. 


            I did a search for bedbugs and for the third night in a row I found none. 
            I finished reading the essay on forms of address. There's not much I didn't know, but maybe the professor selected it for students whose first language is not English.

No comments:

Post a Comment