Saturday 17 September 2022

Joan Hackett


            On Friday morning I published my translation of "Sermonette" by Boris Vian on my Christian's Translations blog. 
            I memorized the first verse of "Lavabo" (Wash Basin) by Serge Gainsbourg and almost nailed down the second verse. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before breakfast. 
            Around midday I finished cleaning the sliding windows in my living room, so now I am done with the window washing project. The main place that is left to be cleaned is the bathroom, which I'll start tackling over the Christmas holidays. Maybe in the spring I'll paint it. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:00. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:39. 
            I started working on the first assignment for my English Language in the World course. We have to find and reflect on a news item about the use of English in the so-called "Inner Circle" where English is a "primary language" and often a source of norms. I'm interested in the hybrid Acadian dialect called "Chiac", so I picked an article from The Montreal Gazette about Lisa LeBlanc's recent album, "Chiac Disco". She recounts stories her aunts told her about dressing up for the disco in the 70s and driving there in a pickup truck. This illustrates hybridity that is analogous to that of Chiac. Participating in attractive aspects of the dominant outer culture while maintaining at the same time one's root culture can result in interesting blendings, creating new ways of using both languages. 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last three chicken drumsticks while watching the eleventh episode of Ben Casey. 
            In this story, aspiring artist Ellen Parker is driving her sports car when she seems to go into a trance, having visions of abstract paintings just before crashing. She is taken to County General where Casey has to deal with her snotty rich parents who are very secretive and won't explain why their daughter had barbiturates in her purse. It is later discovered that Ellen is an epileptic and that the drug was used to control her condition. On top of this, Ellen is pregnant. She is married to George Parker, who does not know that Ellen is an epileptic. Casey urges her to tell him because if he loves her he will understand. She takes Casey's advice and tells George, but the result is that he wants a divorce. Shortly after this Ellen has a seizure and loses her baby. Her parents want to put her in an out-of-the-way beach house with a private nurse. Casey wants to help Ellen learn that she can have a happy life despite her condition. He takes her to visit physiotherapist Dr. Amy Peterson, who reveals that she is also an epileptic and a happy mother of two. Ellen begins to realize that there is hope for her. 
            Ellen was played by Joan Hackett, who became a model in her teens and was on the cover of Harper's Junior Bazaar at the age of 18. This led to the offer of a contract with 20th Century Fox but she turned it down because she wanted to study acting before doing films. By her mid-twenties she was a successful stage actor, having won an Obie for her performance in "Call Me By My Rightful Name." In the early sixties, she was a regular on "The Defenders" TV series. She co-starred in "The Group" in 1966, "Will Penny" in 1967, "Support Your Local Sheriff" in 1969, "Reflections of Murder" and "The Terminal Man" in 1974, and "Harnessing the Sun" in 1980. She appeared in Paul Simon's "One Trick Pony" in 1980 and a couple of years later she checked herself out of the cancer ward shortly before she died to throw a wedding party for Paul Simon and Carrie Fisher. 
            I searched for bedbugs and for the fourth night in a row I didn't find any. 
            I worked a little more on my assignment before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment