Friday 9 September 2022

Jeanne Cooper


            On Thursday morning I finished working out the chords for "Sermonette" by Boris Vian. Tomorrow I'll run through the song in French and then in English to make sure my translation is solid.
            I finished working out the chords for "Volontaire" by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through it in French and English. Tomorrow I'll upload it to my Christian's Translations blog. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before breakfast. That's weird because I was feeling so light this morning.
            Around midday, I finished cleaning the last sliding window of the left-hand set in my living room. Then I removed the sliding windows on the right side and laid down a pillow so I could lie on my back and wash the big right-hand window on the outside. Unlike the big left-hand window, the vinegar didn't leak down between the non-removable double sheets of glass, and so it's cleaner, but the inside is still dirty. It's obvious that these windows were dirty on the inside when they were installed, and some asshole drew circles in the dirt of both panes on the inside. I don't know why they didn't bother to clean them when they installed them. I did a quick first cleaning of the grooves where the right-hand sliding windows sit. Hopefully, I'll get the grooves adequately washed tomorrow and maybe even at least one of the sliding windows. 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I changed the back bike tube that blew yesterday and put on the new tire. It was a struggle as it usually is for someone like me who is not mechanically inclined. It took me about an hour. I had to deflate it a couple of times because the tire kept sneaking out over the rim in one area. This new tire is bigger than the previous ones and there is less space for it on each side of the frame. I went to Metro Cycle to ask about it and Gordon told me it was fine but he said I should have my front axle adjusted because the tire was wobbling from side to side. I said I'd bring it back for him to fix after going to the supermarket. 
            I went to Freshco where I bought five bags of red grapes, a pack of strawberries, a pack of raspberries, some bananas, a pack of five-year-old cheddar, a pork sirloin for under $8, a bag of kettle chips, three bags of skim milk, a small container of skyr, a jug of limeade, lemon-scented dish detergent, and a pack of toilet paper. 
            I went back to Metro Cycle and Gordon fixed my tire right away. It turns out that we are both from New Brunswick and both of our mothers were French teachers. 
            I weighed 85.4 kilos at 18:18. 
            I didn't get caught up on my journal until 19:45. 
            I reviewed four videos of me playing "L'accordion" and three of "The Accordion". Of "L'accordion". July 3 was not bad; July 9 was one of the best of the French ones but I did almost fumble once; on July 5 I didn't hit the B chord firmly enough; on July 7 I was still sloppy on the B. Of "The Accordion", on July 4 I enunciated the "in and" in the chorus about half the time; July 6 was the best take of the English version so far but it was still sometimes sloppy on the B; on July 8 at first I was hitting the B more firmly but it got sloppy again. 
            I had a potato with gravy and a steak while watching the second episode of Ben Casey. 
            A mother comes to the hospital with her daughter who has been injured in an automobile accident. She has internal bleeding and requires transfusions but Mrs. Reed refuses to allow it, even when told that Cathy will die otherwise. She says if that's what nature determines then that's the way it should be. Mrs. Reed's religion is not mentioned but she does indicate that her husband shared her beliefs and died because he refused to receive a vaccine. 
            Meanwhile a patient named Linda Miller is admitted, complaining of shooting pains on her right side. She is very upbeat in general and quite flirtatious with Casey. Casey notices bumps on her neck and asks if she'll consent to a biopsy. She says, "This one's on the house!" She tells him not to leave a scar because she has her career to think of. Those things and later Maggie saying of her, "She seems to be such a nice person for ..." suggests vaguely that Linda is a sex trade worker. 
            Casey tries to make Cathy a ward of the state to override her mother's beliefs but the law says it can't be done with one parent still alive. Casey decides to go ahead and give Cathy a transfusion anyway. The nurse and Dr. Cain try to distract Mrs. Reed but she senses that something is going on and runs to her daughter's room. She temporarily pulls out the intravenous tube but Casey has her forced out of the room. Cathy is given four units of blood. 
            Casey has bad news for Linda. He tells her that she has Hodgkin's disease and probably only has six months to live. She is clearly upset but takes it in her stride as she does everything. She says she'll go back to Milwaukee and tells Casey she'd like him to visit her. He says he'd like that. 
            Mrs. Reed files a lawsuit against the hospital. She comes to see Cathy with her lawyer and it doesn't help that Cathy has developed a rash since the transfusion. Casey says it's from medication and not from the blood. As the court date approaches the hospital's lawyer plans to paint Mrs. Reed as hysterical. Cathy has a full recovery. 
            As Linda is leaving the hospital she approaches Mrs. Reed and admits that it's none of her business but she wants to remind her that Dr. Casey saved her daughter's life. We don't see how the lawsuit turns out but one assumes that the hospital either wins or Mrs. Reed has a change of heart. Linda says goodbye to Casey and walks away smiling.
            Linda was played by Jeanne Cooper, who was nominated for an Emmy Award for this performance. Her first film role was a supporting part in the 1953 western, "The Redhead from Wyoming." She played Belle Starr on Tales of Wells Fargo. She was a regular on Bracken's World. She is most famous for playing Kay Chancellor on The Young and the Restless, and was nominated for fourteen Emmys for that role, but only won once. When she had a facelift she suggested that the show incorporate it into an episode and so they filmed her actual operation. She played Kay Chancellor up until four days before dying at the age of 89. She is the mother of TV star Corbin Bernsen, who played the playboy lawyer Arnie Becker on LA Law. 
            I went through my usual routine of searching for bedbugs and it was looking like I would make it to eight days since I'd seen one. But in the very last place I looked I poked a black one out of hiding. It was puffed up but the blood inside was very dark and so it wasn't fresh. Anyway, seven days was the longest I'd gone without finding one for a long time. Hopefully, it'll be at least another seven days before I see the next one with the frequency getting further apart until they are gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment