Wednesday 7 September 2022

September 7, 1992: My daughter wanted to feed the spider monkey but whenever it reached for her hand she threw the cracker at it


Thirty years ago today 

            On Monday I met my daughter and her mother at Yonge and Sheppard, and Nancy was late of course. Nancy's mother drove us to the zoo after she finally figured out the way. I was unpleasantly surprised that it cost $9 for one adult to get in, especially since I had to pay for Nancy too. We took the baby to see the rhino first, and she seemed interested, but not overly so. We went through a couple of indoor pavilions and then the outdoor African one. We tried to get the baby to take her nap on the grass. I fed her as she wandered into the bullrushes, one spoonful for every ten steps. She almost threw her bottle in the garbage. We went to see the elephants, but she wasn't too impressed. The gorillas fascinated us, but the baby was cranky. We walked past the hyenas. She was more impressed with the spider monkeys because I was feeding them crackers, and she wanted to do it too. But whenever the monkey reached out to take it from her hand, she would always throw the cracker at it. Only I got through. One of them took a cracker from Nancy's hand with its tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment