Friday 2 September 2022

Jeff Bergman


            On Thursday morning I memorized the first verse of "Volontaire" by Serge Gainsbourg and started reworking my translation of the second and fourth lines of each verse to fit the rhyme better. 
            I weighed 84.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            I wanted to call Topcuts to make an appointment with Amy before school starts, but I needed to pay for my September phone plan first. I walked over to Freedom Mobile where there was a big line-up of people buying new phones. One guy with long grey hair who was replacing a phone he'd lost was there with a partner in pink, who had artificial flowers in her hair and was wearing a pink slave collar. It took half an hour before I was served. 
            A lot of the customers of Freedom Mobile in Parkdale are Tibetan who came to Canada by way of India and who speak as a second language the first language of the clerks for that store. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if these employees were selected specifically so they could interact with the Tibetan customers. 
            When I got home, I tried to call Topcuts but was told my Freedom account has been suspended. I went back to the store, and it looked like my phone just needed to be refreshed. When I called Topcuts I was told that they no longer make appointments and that I should just drop in. I was told that Amy would be in on Friday, but I wanted to go next week so I'll call again on Tuesday. 
            I weighed 84.3 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. While riding I worked out a melody and a possible chorus for a poem that I wrote thirty years ago. When I got home, I realized that while distracted by my songwriting I'd forgotten to stop at the supermarket and so I headed back down to Freshco. The grapes were very cheap and so I bought seven bags. I also got strawberries, blueberries, bananas, a tomato, naan, five-year-old cheddar, kettle chips, a jug of orange juice, a jar of mild salsa, shampoo-conditioner, conditioner, and a pack of Sponge Towels. 
            I weighed 83.7 kilos at 17:44. The lightest I've been in a few months. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:44. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my July 10 song practice I synchronized the audio with the video. Then I created a separate project for the take of my song "A Ham and a Fiddle" that I recorded in that session. I deleted everything before and almost everything after. Tomorrow I'll fine tune the ending and then I'll render it as a movie. I'll probably have time tomorrow as well to upload the song to YouTube. 
            In the Movie Maker project for my song "Instructions for Electroshock Therapy" I synchronized the concert video with the studio audio when I sing "shock therapy" after the line "But if convulsive codes have not been reached". The next line, "either the threshold has not been found or a delayed attack is coming around" is out of synch again. I'll try to find a video clip online to fit the first part of that and then I'll try to synchronize them again when I sing "or a delayed attack is coming around." 
            I chronologized a few more hard copies of my transcriptions of the Gumby Bible. 
            I had my last potato with gravy and a pork chop while watching four Bugs Bunny shorts from 1991, 1992, 1995, and 1996. 
            The first story doesn't really have a story. It's actually done documentary style and it features the rehearsals leading up to the "51 and a Half Anniversary of Bugs Bunny". It begins with the opening musical number at the event. Bugs Bunny dances out to centre stage, someone throws him a cane, then Daffy Duck dances out beside him from stage right, Elmer Fudd dances out from stage left with his shotgun, he aims it, Bugs ducks, he fires and it's a pop gun, then Yosemite Sam jumps out of a cake behind them and lights four rockets. But then the story flashes back to rehearsals of getting the number right from earlier that day. First the music is skipping, then Daffy comes dancing out at the same time as Bugs, then Daffy is late and we hear him flushing the toilet, then Elmer comes out with live ammunition. He explains that he thought that after all these years it would be nice to actually shoot Bugs Bunny. Then when Sam pops out of the cake, he's not smiling so it has to be redone. 
            By this time the great Mel Blanc had died and so the first impressionist to take over the voices of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam was Jeff Bergman. At the same time, he began doing the voice of the Pillsbury Doughboy and continued for twenty-seven years. In the Jetsons movie he played George Jetson and Mr. Spacely. He also did the later voice of Fred Flintstone for specials in the 1990s and 2000s. He was also the voice of Donald Trump on Our Cartoon President. 


            The second story is a parody of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Carrots from another planet are flying through space to Earth. Meanwhile Bugs is late for work. He has to be ready when Elmer Fudd arrives at his hole to try to shoot him. The usual shenanigans unfold, and Elmer is upset about losing. Bugs comforts him and reminds him there is always tomorrow. Then Bugs has to run to catch a plane out west. On the way he sees the strange carrots that have just landed but he doesn't have time to think about them because he has a date with a fiery redhead. Bugs arrives in the desert and gets in his hole to wait for Yosemite Sam. When Sam arrives, they go through the routine of Bugs daring him to step across lines until he steps off a cliff. Bugs tells Sam there's always tomorrow and then he has to leave for his next appointment. But before he leaves, he sees a cactus with carrots growing from it. Bugs's next appointment is with Daffy Duck to argue over whether it's Duck season or rabbit season. Then the work day is ended but before Bugs leaves Daffy he sees more of the strange carrots. After he leaves, we see Daffy pick up one of the carrots and something happens that terrifies him. 
           The next morning Bugs starts work again but when Elmer arrives, he seems like a poorly drawn facsimile of himself. He actually looks something like Charlie Brown. He is also behaving in a robotic manner. He says he wants to spread sunshine wherever he goes. He holds up one of the alien carrots and tells Bugs that if he takes it his troubles will be over. Bugs declines. He heads for the desert but finds that Sam has also been transformed. He's even wearing a happy face pin as he offers Bugs a carrot. Bugs goes to meet Daffy, who is also sickeningly agreeable, admits it's duck season and volunteers to be shot. Then he offers Bugs a carrot and this time he takes it. That night the carrot transforms into a poorly drawn copy of Bugs Bunny. It grabs an axe and tries to kill Bugs in bed. Bugs escapes and runs away. He goes to the Elmer copy and looks at his neck to see the label, "Made on the Planet Nudnik." He checks the others and finds the same label. Bugs puts all the copies into a sack, ties it to a rocket and sends it into space. The next day Bugs's enemies are back and he's very happy that they want to kill him again. 
            The third story is a parody of Casablanca with Daffy Duck as Sam the piano player singing the song "Knock on Wood" from the movie. Tweety is playing Peter Lorre's part of being in possession of the document from the German scientist. Bugs Bunny plays the role of Rick, the owner of the bar, who Tweety convinces to take the document. Silvester arrives with Kitty, who plays the Ingrid Bergman role, who Pepe Le Pew immediately grabs, calling her his little Swedish meatball. She throws Pepe into a wall, and he says, "She is shy, no?" Yosemite Sam plays the role of the German officer, General Pandemonium, who comes seeking the document, which he learned about from Tweety. Bugs rolls up a newspaper and tells the general to fetch it as he throws it outside. The general acts like a dog and goes after it. 
            Kitty says, "It's been a long time Sam." Sam suddenly recognizes Kitty and is shocked to see her. She asks him to play it again. Then Bugs sees Kitty and remembers their past together. This is the first time in Bugs Bunny's history that we ever see him in an interspecies romantic relationship. Bugs goes on a binge as he remembers. Then Kitty comes to Bugs to ask for his help because Silvester has been arrested by Pandemonium. At first, he refuses but she starts to cry and he's a sucker for a crying dame. 
             Bugs goes to the police station and tells Pandemonium that he's interrogating Silvester all wrong. He puts the general in the hotseat and begins questioning him first as an Irish cop, then as a child with a lollipop, then as the child's mother. Pandemonium confesses and puts himself in jail. Bugs sees Kitty and Silvester onto their plane. But Pepe le Pew is the flight attendant and Kitty jumps out, lands on her feet in front of Bugs and they embrace as her parachute opens over them. 
            The fourth story features Yosemite Sam as the captain and crew of a pirate ship called the Friz Freling, the home port of which is Kansas City. There's a Gilbert and Sullivan type song he sings with a chorus that argues with him, and he says he hates choruses. Sam is following a treasure map to an island where he finds the X-spot and starts to dig. He finds a box containing the singing Frog, but he tosses that box aside and says, "Not in my picture! I hates frogs!" He digs up the chest but on top of it is Bugs Bunny. Bugs refuses to get off but when Sam says he's going to Vegas, Bugs decides to come with him. Bugs says he's the captain and so Sam ties him up and makes him walk the plank over a shark that is waiting. Since Bugs refuses to jump, Sam saws the plank but it won't fall. While Sam is trying to force the board down, Bugs edges back onto the ship. He tells Sam to try jumping on it and he does, almost falling into the shark's mouth but he makes it back onto the ship where Bugs is posing in drag as a sexy mermaid named Buttercup. He runs to kiss Bugs and he ducks, so Sam falls off the ship to kiss the shark. Sam swims as fast as he can to escape the shark. Then Bugs opens the chest and says he doesn't understand why anybody but him would want eighteen carrots. 
            I searched for bedbugs and didn't find any.

No comments:

Post a Comment