Thursday 1 September 2022

September 1, 1991: I covered my daughter with my shirt while she slept on the grass and I got bitten by mosquitoes


Thirty years ago today

            On Tuesday I met Nancy downtown to pick up my daughter because Nancy had an appointment. But after spending two weeks without her mother the baby refused to let her go and so she canceled, and we went instead to the Canadian National Exhibition. We bought some food first and let our daughter wander. She headed straight for the tepees like she did when I took her there the week before. Nancy was so uptight about what she would let her do. We watched a magic show and when the baby went for the stand, Nancy got very upset. We went to the petting zoo, but my daughter wasn't impressed. She fell asleep on the way to Ontario Place, and we found a grassy area to lay her down. I took off my shirts to cover her and she slept for three hours at least while I shivered and got bitten by mosquitoes. By the time she woke up all of the Ontario Place activities were closed and so we went back to the Ex. We went to the Food Building for a while and then headed out. But as we neared the Bathurst Gate, we noticed that one of her shoes was missing. I picked up the baby and went back the way we'd come to look for it, thinking that Nancy was behind us, but she wasn't. I found my daughter's sock and then her shoe and then went back to the gate to wait for Nancy. I entertained the baby by putting her in one of the little cars. When Nancy finally showed up it turned out that she had gone all the way back to the Food Building to look for the shoe. I smiled a little and Nancy told me that I looked like the Devil. The way she said it really hurt me and so I didn't speak to her all the way to the subway. I sat at the other end of the car and didn't even say goodbye to my daughter when I got off.

No comments:

Post a Comment