Thursday 25 November 2021

Ted Cassidy


            On Wednesday morning I finished transcribing the chords to “Mangos” by Serge Gainsbourg that I found yesterday. I looked for more but the other postings were the same. I'll start trying them out tomorrow. 
            I weighed 87.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            At around 8:45 I logged onto my Shakespeare lecture. 
           The lecture was mostly about Iago's wife Amelia, speculation on why she kept the handkerchief that resulted in Desdemona's death, and the evidence that Desdemona wasn't the angel she seemed to be. 
            Yesterday I got an email from Michael Callaghan of Exile Editions telling me he'd forwarded my manuscript for editorial review. He said hopefully there would be a book in 2022 or 2023. I wasn't sure if he meant my book would be published or he hoped it would but it was out f his hands. I wondered if he was being crystal clear to someone who understands publishing lingo so I asked Albert Moritz, since Michael had sent him a copy of the email. Albert got back to me today saying that he was confused by Michael's email as well. He said he'd emailed Michael about it and he'll get back to me.
            I weighed 88.1 kilos before lunch. I had saltines with five-year-old cheddar and a glass of fruit punch. 
            I took a bike ride in the afternoon to Yonge and Bloor, then down to King when I turned my flashers on and headed west. I weighed 87.4 kilos when I got home. 
            After I settled in I realized I'd forgotten to buy beer and so I got dressed again and headed out to the liquor store. I met my upstairs neighbour David at the corner. I asked if he wanted anything at the liquor store and he said he didn't but insisted on giving me $20 for my six-pack of Creemore. He said he's very upset about the situation in Ethiopia because the phone lines are down and he can't reach his family. I asked if they were in danger and he said, “Of course, what do you think?” I asked if he could bring them to Canada but he said the planes are down. 
            David said he was lonely and wondered if I thought the landlord would let him get a kitten. I said I don't think he can legally stop him despite the notices he's put up. He surprised me when he said he has three snakes and one of them is a python that he's had for ten years. I never knew that. He said one of them got loose because it smelled mice and he had to get it from behind the garbage bin. I wonder how he deals with pest control when they come to spray poison. 
            I thawed two slices of the spinach and feta pizza that David had given me a month or so ago. I added Florentine sauce, extra old cheddar, and pepperoni and once they were heated I had them with a beer while watching an episode of The Addams Family. 
            In this story, Wednesday and Pugsly go to the birthday party of a neighbour named Harold Pomeroy. Wednesday gives Harold a black eye for saying his family is better than hers. The dispute causes the Addamses to look into their family tree and it is hinted that Morticia's ancestor was burned at the stake in Salem. An ancestor of Gomez burned the library at Alexandria. The genealogist they hire has also done the tree for the Pomeroys. When they learn that Pomeroy's ancestors were pirates and other sorts of shady characters they have a new respect for him. Meanwhile, Pomeroy thinks there might be oil on some Addams property on the county line and he decides to be nice so they will sell it. Gomez sells it because he knows there is no oil. 
            Pugsley was played by Ken Weatherwax who later became a set builder for movies. 
            Harold was played by Kim Tyler, who played Kyle Nash for two years on the sitcom “Please Don't Eat the Daisies.” 
            Lurch the butler was played by Ted Cassidy, who was academically gifted and so went to high school early. He was also tall and athletic and so he played on basketball and football teams and became a lifeguard. Although he was an accomplished keyboardist he did not really play the harpsichord on The Addams Family. After high school, he became a DJ and later branched into television. He played several characters on Star Trek as well as two other Gene Roddenberry projects, “Genesis II” and “Planet Earth.” He worked extensively doing voice work in animated shows. He was the voice of Frankenstein Junior, Meteor Man, and Brainiac.



No comments:

Post a Comment