Monday 15 November 2021

November 15, 1991: Nancy said she'd lend me $5 so I could get to work but then said she'd let me hitchhike to Brampton to teach me a lesson about getting a better job


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday when I first called Nancy she was in bed. After three more times I was told she was in the shower. The next time I phoned she was at the plaza. 
            I got a call from Wayne telling me that there would be work on Saturday if I could get to Brampton. 
            I went to Manpower on Warden to see about casual work and then I decided to head up to Bamburgh Plaza to look for Nancy, but I couldn't find her. I called her from a payphone and her mother said she wasn't home. I went to the bus stop and saw her father drive by. I should have assumed he'd just dropped her off at the house but I went all the way home and called only to find out that he had. 
            At first, Nancy said she would lend me $5 so I could get to work but then she said she would let me hitchhike to Brampton to teach me a lesson about getting a better job. 
            She called back later and told me that if I wanted the money I'd have to come up there and get it from under the mat. I went up there but the money wasn't there and so I rang the bell. Nancy answered and silently handed me the $5, then she seemed to be about to close the door on me when I asked to see my baby. She brought her out to me, then I wrapped my coat around her and paced back and forth on the veranda with her in my arms until she fell asleep. After Nancy and her sister Susan took off in the car with my daughter, I got a couple of my things from the house, including my tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment