Monday 8 November 2021

November 8, 1991: Welfare wanted a letter from UI to prove I'd applied. I brought it and they said I'd have a cheque Monday


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday I got a call from the welfare worker that had visited me on Thursday. She said I needed to get a letter from Unemployment Insurance to prove that I'd applied on Wednesday. So I went up there and waited almost an hour to get one, then I took it down to the welfare office. I was told that I should get a cheque on Monday. 
            I couldn't get through to Nancy at all. I called several times from morning until night. In the end someone answered and told me she was staying at Brenka's. 
            I wondered how Nancy would feel if she'd been raised only by her mother and found out that the only reason her father hadn't been there was that her mother didn't like him. 
            I'd been staying up and getting up late, working on collages and cleaning up. 
            I was broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment