Friday 19 June 2020

Under the Table



            On Thursday morning I finished translating "Bourrée de complexes" (Buried in Complexes) by Boris Vian. Next I have to memorize it in French. I also memorized the first verse of “Variations sur Marilou” by Serge Gainsbourg. This one is going to take a while because it's a seven and a half minute song with lots of lyrics.
            This was the first time I’d video recorded my song practice in almost three years. Since I’ve already uploaded both “Le poinconneur des Lilas” and “L’alcool" and their translations to YouTube, after seven years of singing them every day I've removed them from my rehearsal and added two new songs to my daily practice. I’d previously been only singing “Comment te dire adieu” and “Eliza” every few days. There are a lot of songs that I want to play but there is just no time and so some songs I sing every few days and others I only sing one verse and a chorus every few days. So now two songs by Jacques Brel that I’ve been doing in fragments for years will be done all the way through about once a week.
            One thing that I noticed from my 2017 videos is that I didn’t look very friendly and so I made an effort to smile more and to behave as if I had an audience that I wanted to know I was friendly.
            There are two conflicting things that come along for me with the sense of being watched that I get from playing in front of the camera. One is that I perform better when it feels like there is an audience, but the other is that I get nervous and fumble my chords and sometimes the lyrics.
            Around midday I washed and scrubbed about a quarter of the area under my kitchen table. There's just one patch of blackness left that one could see while standing at my door. 






            I had kidney beans and salsa with kettle chips for lunch.
            At 16:45 I took a bike ride. I skipped my exercises because I wanted to stop at the supermarket on my way home. At Bloor and Bay a woman had a pink sunburn that matched her purse. I’m all for fashion but when one is coordinating sunburns with purses I think it’s taking it too far.
            At Freshco I got three bags of grapes, a pack of strawberries and another of raspberries. I bought a strawberry rhubarb pie, a loaf of Bavarian sandwich bread, some Danish blue cheese, some raspberry Greek yogourt, a box of spoon size shredded wheat and a bag of kettle chips. One of the long time regular cashiers was there shopping and speaking in Portuguese with her parents. It was the first time I’d seen her out of uniform and she looked very nice with her hair up and wearing fuzzy tights and sparkly short top.
            Before dinner I uploaded the video that I’d shot that morning and found that I’d had the camera too low so that it was looking up my nose. Also the microphone was blocking my face. I’ll have to raise the camera for next time, tilt it slightly down and maybe stand back a bit. I won’t get a full sense of how it sounds until I combine it with the microphone recording later on.
            I had a potato, some peas, two chicken drumsticks and gravy while watching “The Bull Skinner”, which is episode 26 of the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock produced TV series "Suspicion". I had started downloading a torrent containing eighteen stories from the series a year ago and so I figured it was time to try to watch it despite the fact that all the data was not complete. This episode had only downloaded 35% and so while it teased me with the story enough to draw my interest I couldn’t make sense of it because it jumped through to the end of the hour long story in about fifteen minutes. I decided to try to find a video of it to stream and there was one on Daily Motion, albeit with some annoying commercials breaking it up in the wrong places.
            In the story Frank lives with his wife Doris in a small trailer home and he works driving a bulldozer for a highway construction company. I'd never heard bulldozer drivers referred to as "bull skinners” before and I can’t find any reference to the phrase online, so maybe the writer invented it. It doesn’t make much sense since the bulldozer is not even being metaphorically skinned while it's being operated.
            A man named Peters, who has no experience with road construction is hired as a supervisor. Frank resents this because Sam the foreman had promised him the job when it came up. Sam explains that the hire came from above and it was out of his hands because Peters is someone’s nephew. To make matters worse Peters rents the trailer next door to Frank’s and becomes friends with Doris. The relationship is platonic but Frank resents the fact that Doris and Peters have so much in common. He plays the flute and she likes the same kind of music. They discuss books that they’ve read and so on. At work Peters tries to be friendly with Frank and suggests that they be on a first name basis. Peters says his name is “Ev" and explains that his mother was from England and that the name Evelyn is a boys name over there. But Frank begins to make fun of him and he gets the other men laughing at the name as well. Flustered, Peters backs away from them and stumbles underneath a bulldozer blade that comes down and amputates his arm. Perhaps Frank feels guilty but now he thinks that Peters blames him for the accident and that he is out to get him for revenge. Frank becomes more and more obsessed with his suspicion to the point that Doris packs her things and tells him she’s leaving him. The next day Sam sends Peters to Frank with a message from Doris but Frank refuses to take any messages from Peters. Peters climbs onto Frank’s bulldozer and places the message there. Perhaps Frank thinks that Peters has tampered with his bulldozer as when Peters drives away in the small open motor cart that he uses to get around the site, Frank borrows someone else’s bulldozer and goes after Peters. He doesn't hear the other guy shout that there is no pressure on the brakes. Frank tries to catch Peters and run him over but loses control and goes over a steep section of the unfinished road and dies. The message from Frank’s wife was, “I changed my mind. I'm home."
            Doris was played by Sally Brophy, who acted on Broadway and on television before becoming a theatre arts professor. She appeared on several TV series and was one of the stars of the western show Buckskin.




No comments:

Post a Comment