Monday 12 April 2021

Citizen's Arrest of a Cop


            On Sunday morning my Song document wouldn’t open, so I had to restart and lost about fifteen minutes. Word gets more and more glitchy lately. Last night one of my documents wouldn’t close and so I had to shut it down in the task manager. I’m reluctant to switch entirely to Open Office because I find that pretty glitchy as well. I guess I could try to find an updated version of Word if all else fails. 
            I memorized the second verse of “Calypso Blues" by Boris Vian. 
            I finished memorizing “Tic tac toe" by Serge Gainsbourg and worked out the chords for the first two verses. I think after I nail down the music for the chorus there won’t be much left. 
            It was raining and it felt a little bit chilly. I checked out the two week weather forecast and saw that later this week it was going to go down to three degrees overnight and so I thought I’d call the landlord to tell him to turn the heat back on. But while I was in the hall looking for Raja’s number on the bulletin board I saw Benji mopping the stairs. He informed me that the furnace hasn’t been turned off but that the thermostat is switched off and we can turn it back on whenever we want. He showed me how but he said that it has to be turned up to 26 degrees for it to come on. The temperature only has to be 21 degrees so maybe that’s why it's too hot sometimes when it’s on. I guess maybe the furnace has to be reset for 21 degrees but I don’t know why we can't just control that from here. 
            I chatted in the hall with Benji and Sankara for at least an hour. 
            I weighed 89.7 kilos at lunch time. I had saltines with five year old cheddar and lemonade. 
            I got up from a siesta in the afternoon feeling sagged down by gravity. I felt better after a bike ride to Ossington and Bloor. 
            I still weighed 89.7 kilos at 18:00. 
            I finished the third reading of my lecture notes and was four pages into a fourth reading, having cut the notes down to 32 pages when it was time for dinner. I had two strips of bacon and an egg with naan and with a beer while watching Andy Griffith. 
            This story begins with Barney giving Gomer a ticket for making a u-turn. After Barney is finished he makes a u-turn himself and so Barney calls out, "Citizen's arrest”. A crowd gathers supporting Gomer’s protest that there is one set of rules for the people and another for the police. Andy arrives and tells Barney that he has to write himself a ticket and after a while he does so but with great indignation. Back at the court house Barney refuses to pay the $5 fine and puts himself in jail to serve the five day alternative. While he is in his cell Barney writes his resignation. When Gomer hears about all this from Opie he puts in a false emergency call saying the filling station is being robbed because he wants Barney to come and help Andy deal with the problem. Barney does snap out of it and gives Gomer a ticket for reporting a false emergency. He then makes a u-turn and Gomer calls out citizen’s arrest again. Later Barney apologizes to Andy and tells him to forget about his resignation. Andy puts it in the file folder containing all of Barney's other resignations. 
            In real life making a citizen’s arrest of a cop might get you killed since cops can do whatever they want to you and get away with it. 
            Before bed I turned the heat on.

No comments:

Post a Comment