Tuesday 20 April 2021

George Lindsey


            On Monday morning I woke up at 2:30 and after taking a pee I took my clothes off and went back to bed. I got up at 5:00 having had about six and a half hours of sleep. I guess it was too much because my back was sore. 
            I memorized the fifth verse of “Calypso Blues" by Boris Vian. I have one more verse to nail down. 
            I finished memorizing “Ciel de plomb" (The Sky is Leaden) by Serge Gainsbourg. Since no one has posted the chords for it I looked for the chords for “Stormy Weather”, which has the same melody, and I started transcribing the ones for Billy Holiday’s version. I'll gather five sets and then decide which to use for “Ciel de Plomb". 
            In the late morning I did some more sanding of the plaster on the right bottom of the frame of my bedroom door. I made some progress and might be almost done in that section. 
            I weighed 90 kilos at lunchtime. I had chips, salsa and yogourt. 
            I took a bike ride to Yonge and Bloor in the afternoon. 
            When I got back I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug”. 
            I cut a video of two songs from my July 3 recording session and then deleted the rest. I just have July 4 to go. 
            I worked some more on colourizing parts of my black and white skateboarder photo. 
            I edited some photos from the fall of 1987.
            I weighed 89.3 kilos before dinner. I had a potato and a chicken leg with gravy while watching two episodes of Andy Griffith. 
            In the first story Andy and Barney are working late so they can finish the court house inventory and be free to take Helen and Thelma Lou to the dance the next night. The girlfriends drop by to ask if they want to come to the movies but they can't and so the women go alone. Andy sends Barney out to the diner to get them dinner so they can keep working. Gomer drops by with his cousin Goober. Gomer has mentioned Goober since his first appearance on the show but this is the first time he’s actually appeared. The very first thing Goober does is his horrible impersonation of Cary Grant: “Judyjudyjudyjudy!" All of Goober's impersonations are in his own voice but Gomer is impressed. Barney comes back from the diner with the Fun Girls, Daphne and Skippy in tow. He ran into them at the diner and they attached themselves to him, compelling him to give them a tour of the jail and then to drive them home to Mount Pilot. They refuse to go home without Andy driving them as well and so he gives in. But Helen and Thelma Lou are returning from their movie when they see the boys get in the car with the Fun Girls. The next day Andy and Barney get hell for it and Helen and Thelma Lou refuse to go to the dance with them. Andy is planning on spending the night home in his dejection but then Barney shows up again with the Fun Girls. Andy has no choice but to go to the dance with them. At the dance Helen and Thelma Lou are sitting with Gomer and Goober. Andy has to dance with Daphne and he requests the bandleader announce a changing partners when the music stops game. Finally Andy gets to dance with Helen and explains everything. Barney also makes up with Thelma Lou. The Fun Girls hook up with Gomer and Goober. 
            Goober was played by George Lindsey. At the end of this season Jim Nabors would be leaving the show to star in Gomer Pyle, USMC and so Goober is brought in to be the dumb hick comic relief replacement. He continued the role of Goober on Mayberry RFD and later on Hee Haw. Despite playing an uneducated yokel, Lindsey had a Bachelor of Bio-Science degree and worked as a science teacher before becoming an actor. He was apparently Gene Roddenberry’s first choice to play Spock on Star Trek. He founded the George Lindsey Film Festival in Florence, Alabama in 1998. 
            While I was making coffee there was a knock on the door and it was Benji. I said that Caesar had complained about the heat again and so the landlord had called Benji to tell him to turn it off. I said that if I was cold later I would turn it back on. 
            In the second story Andy thinks that Aunt Bee is overworked. At the same time, British butler on vacation, Malcolm Merriweather returns to Mayberry and Andy hires him to do the work so Bee can relax. Malcolm is perhaps a better cook and housekeeper than Bee, even though she is also very good. After a while Malcolm realizes that Bee is not happy because she has nothing to do. Malcolm pretends to get drunk and makes a mess of the kitchen, then he quits. Andy sees that the sherry was not drank but rather dumped down the sink, but now Bee is happy again. 
            I looked up elderly people and heat and found that Caesar’s behaviour fits a condition that the old are prone to of not being able to handle extreme changes in temperature, especially when it’s an increase. They are supposed to drink a lot of fluids to air condition their bodies so they can handle it. I felt dizzy when I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment