Sunday 15 November 2020

Atoms


            On Saturday morning I memorized the first verse of “Rock n Rose" by Serge Gainsbourg. “Rock n Rose” in this song is the name of a particularly potent cocktail concocted by a master bartender. 
            Around midday I went to the supermarket but when I was about to lock my bike I realized that I’d forgotten to bring my backpack, which carries my bike chain and which carries groceries. I rode home, calling myself an idiot along the way (I can do that because we’re that close), got my backpack and came back to No Frills. 
            I bought five bags of green grapes, mouthwash, and berry skyr. In the frozen food aisle it looked like they’d dimmed the lights, but then I noticed that they had new black freezers that seemed to darken the way, 
            For lunch I had five year old cheddar and crackers for lunch. 
            I read the required poems of Andrew Marvell and Margaret Cavendish for British Literature. Marvell wrote a lot of pastoral poetry and some political stuff thrown in as well. This writing took place during the English civil war. At first he was against the Royalists and okay with Charles I being executed but later he supported Charles II when the monarchy returned. Margaret Cavendish wrote poems about her belief that everything was made of atoms. But she thought that different elements like solids, liquids, fire and air were each made of atoms of specific shapes.
            Just before sunset I saw a young couple on the roof of the building across the street. I’d never seen anyone up there before. They looked like they were romantically involved but he also had a camera and he was taking advantage of the horizontal light to take some pictures of her. They were gone after the sun went down.
            I heated one of the burgers I’d grilled on Wednesday and had it on whole grain bread topped by ketchup, mustard, relish and scotch bonnet sauce. I ate it with a beer while watching Interpol Calling. 
            In this story Duval goes to a fictional country in South America called San Curro to retrieve a man named Dave Carson who is wanted for murder in Saudi Arabia. What he hadn’t reckoned with is that he arrived in the middle of a civil war. There is what looks like real footage of planes attacking as the rebel forces close in. Duval is urged by government officials to go back to Paris but he is determined to get his man. Carson is an oil pipeline pumping station engineer and he is located at a pumping station in the middle of the battle area. Captain Garetta agrees to drive him out there but unknown to both of them Carson's wife Vicenta stows away in the back of the jeep. On the way they are strafed by a rebel plane and Duval and Garetta take cover but Vicenta is hit. When Duval arrives at the pumping station Carson agrees to go with him but tells him that first he has to fix a valve on the pump to keep the valley from being flooded with oil. Garetta thinks it’s a trick but Duval doesn't and helps Carson work on the valve. Vicenta staggers in but her leg injury is only a flesh wound. Garetta hates both Carson and Vicenta because she turned him down for Carson. Garetta wanders off and later Duval hears tapping in Morse code along the pipeline. It is how the rebels communicate and it turns out that Garetta is one of them. He has sent a message that the pumping station is ready for takeover and he holds the three of them at gunpoint while waiting for the rebels. Under the pretence of getting fresh bandages for Vicenta, Duval makes it to his gun and shoots Garetta’s away. He then taps out an alternative message to tell the rebels not to come because the station is occupied by government troops. He forces Garetta to help them fix the valve but then Garetta makes a break to pull a switch, hoping to destroy the pipeline but it releases steam into his face. The radio reports that the revolt has been quashed. Carson says that the fix he did on the valve is only temporary. Duval says Interpol can wait and says that meanwhile he’ll send some men to help Carson make repairs. 
            Vicenta was played by Elisabeth Wilson, but other than some British TV work not much is known about her. Wikipedia has her confused with the more famous Elizabeth Wilson, who looks nothing like her.

No comments:

Post a Comment