Monday 23 November 2020

Isabel Dean


            On Sunday morning I found one set of chords for “A la pêche des coeurs" (Fishing for Hearts) by Boris Vian. I'll keep looking in case there are more versions around. 
            I finished working out the chords for “Rock n Rose” by Serge Gainsbourg and ran through the song in French and English. 
            I knew that a laundry day was coming soon but I didn’t think it would be today until I looked in the bottom drawer for tomorrow’s underwear and there weren’t any briefs to be found that weren’t ragged. So a laundry day it was after all. 
            I had crackers and cheddar and a muffin and skyr for lunch. It was a little too much. 
            It was our first full snowy day of the season.
            I finished typing my notes on the hunting scene in “Bisclavret” by Marie de France and “The Hunting of the Hare” by Margaret Cavendish. As I transcribed them I organized them a little better and made additional notes as I thought of them. I think my essay will be about poetic techniques that create senses of predestiny in the poems. 
            I made tacos again out of tortillas with cheese and salsa but this time I didn’t melt the cheese. I had them with a beer while watching the next 35 minutes of “The Quatermass Experiment”. But that took me to almost the end. I looked up the show on YouTube and discovered that the file I downloaded is a movie they pieced together from all the shows and so they cut out parts of the original. I think I’ll start from the beginning and watch the full version. I started an alternative download that’s for the TV show rather than the movie. It should be downloaded by tomorrow evening and then I’ll be able to properly watch the first episode . 
            Meanwhile, in this shortened story Judith, the wife of the surviving astronaut, Victor Carroon hires someone to help her sneak her husband out of the hospital. She wants he and her to both be free of Quatermass. Carroon is still catatonic but he can walk. But before leaving the hospital room he sees a cactus plant and smashes it. In the elevator he kills the man his wife hired. They find him turned partially into a plant. Judith finds Victor and takes him to her car. After they drive a while she sees that his hand has become like a cactus. He escapes. He goes to a druggist, apparently looking for something to kill himself but ends up killing the pharmacist. He encounters a little girl playing by the river with her doll. She holds her doll up to him and he breaks it before running away. He goes to the zoo and kills most of the animals. The only survivors are the mice, who begin to shape shift and escape. On his last sighting Victor is more crawling than walking. 
            Judith is played by Isabel Dean, who first studied painting and entered the theatre world as a scene painter. She mostly worked in theatre up until this show. She later co-starred in the comedy series “A Life of Bliss”, the drama “A Man of Our Times” and the soap opera “199 Park Avenue”.

No comments:

Post a Comment