Tuesday 10 November 2020

Stop the Dystop, I Wanna Get Off


            Monday was the first time in three days that I got up at my usual time instead of an hour or two early because of going to bed sooner. 
            I finished working out the chords to “Sparadrap" (Plaster Wrap) by Serge Gainsbourg. I had my first normal song practice in four days and my guitar even stayed in tune better than it has for months. I guess it likes the weather since the heat is off because it’s so warm outside. 
            My next deadline is the Ask the Author assignment for Canadian Literature. My partner on this is my fellow student Justin. One of us has to pretend to the be the author and the other the interviewer. He went along with my preference to ask the questions and for the book to be The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline. I started re-reading the book out loud yesterday while taking notes and spent an hour on it before lunch today. I’ve re-read the first fifty pages of the 231 page novel. 
            My landlord came by with a rent receipt and he gave me $20 which he said was the interest on my last month’s rent deposit. It looks like he's forgotten that he gave me back that deposit five years ago so I could buy new futons and a bedbug proof cover for my bedroom futon. I took the money and didn’t tell him. I don’t know why he’s suddenly being so nice. Maybe he's dying. 
            I had chips and salsa with yogourt for lunch. I re-read over half of The Marrow Thieves up until dinner time. The story still makes me cry the second time around and it’s well told, but I find the science and some of the other details annoyingly implausible. She tries to blame all the characteristics of this dystopia on pollution and global warming but it doesn’t always make sense. 
            I had a potato, two curried chicken drumsticks and gravy for dinner while watching Interpol Calling.
            In this story a master counterfeiter named Hansen has figured the perfect way to pass his forged money without becoming directly involved. He locates Slade, an employee of the Packard safe company who has access to the vault keys. He takes advantage of Slade’s gambling problem to suck him into partnership. Slade gets him the keys to three safes, one in Barcelona, another in Zurich and finally one in London. Then Slade quits the company for health reasons and tells them he is moving to Australia. In Barcelona Hansen uses the key to open the safe and replace the real money with the same amount of counterfeit. The same thing is done in Zurich and Interpol tracks the money to the company that owns the safe. They are surprised that they’ve been paying their employees in fake money. When Duval learns that the safes in Spain and Switzerland are both Packard safes he questions the safe company. He learns that Slade, who delivered the safes said he was moving to Australia but there is no record of anyone by that name travelling to Down Under. Duval learns that the last key is for a vault in London. Hansen and Slade are doing this job together when the police arrive. Hansen shoots and kills one cop and then he kills Slade. Interpol finds that the paper for the counterfeit money comes from a firm in London. The company does not sell the paper but rather uses it to print special autographed editions of certain books. It is Hansen who buys the largest amount of books and he lives in Cannes. By a chemical process he removes the print and then makes money. Duval finds Hansen’s house in Cannes, waits for Hansen to leave and then goes inside where he finds all the evidence he needs. He also finds Hansen’s gun and removes the bullets. When Hansen finds Duval there he tries to shoot him but just clicks and so Duval arrests him and that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment