Sunday 10 January 2021

Rebecca Romijn


            On Saturday morning I felt dizzy, especially during yoga. It wasn't so bad during song practice.
            I finished translating “Mozart avec nous” (Mozart is with Us) by Boris Vian and tried to sing along with the song a couple of times. Holy crap he sings fast in this song! 
            I finished posting my translation of “Ex-fan des sixties” by Serge Gainsbourg. The next song by him I’ll learn is “Apocalypstick". 
            In the late morning I went out to the supermarket. At No Frills they had cherries and so I got seven bags. I also bought two half pints of raspberries, a pack of old cheddar, a pack of chicken legs, and a pack of paper towels. 
            When I got back my second floor neighbour Benji was standing in front of our building and so I chatted with him for about half an hour. He surprised me when he said that even though he is a brown skinned man who immigrated here from Guyana in the 70s he’s never experienced any racism in Canada. He told me that the most racist people he's met are other people of his ethnicity from India and Pakistan who look down on everybody else. 
            For lunch I had a toasted slice of Bavarian sandwich bread with peanut butter. 
            I isolated the song “A Ham and a Fiddle” from my June 21 recording, converted it to WMV and deleted the rest. I also got rid of the entire recording of my June 22 song practice. 
            I worked on my poem series “My Blood in a Bug." 
            I worked some more on partially colourizing my skateboarder photo from the 80s. 
            I translated a bit of “Les enfants du paradis" and "Le remparts du sud."
            I made a mini pizza with a slice of bread, sauce, salsa, french fries and cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching all of the Star Trek Shorts that I hadn’t seen except for Calypso, which I couldn’t find. I’d already seen Runaway and Escape Artist a couple of years ago. 
            The first one I watched was “Q & A”. Ensign Spock arrives on the Enterprise for the first time and is greeted by Number One who tells him he should ask questions until she is annoyed. On the way to the bridge they are trapped in the turbo lift and both let their guard down for a while, long enough to sing. She makes him promise not to reveal what occurred. 
            Number One is played by Rebecca Romijn who was a successful Victoria’s Secret model until she got into acting. She played Mystique in X-Men back when the X-Men were the best superhero film franchise. She was married to John Stamos. I assume that she will co-star, along with Ethan Peck as Spock and Anson Mount as Captain Pike, on the proposed spin-off “Strange New Worlds" in the pre-Kirk Enterprise. 
            The second story tells the origin of the Tribles. A science officer named Lucero from the Enterprise is made captain of a research vessel that is specializing in food development. A dysfunctional but brilliant scientist named Edward has been researching tribles as a food source. The captain asks if they are sentient but Edward says he can easily manipulate their DNA to make sure they are not. They also reproduce extremely slowly but he says he can fix that as well. The captain is uncomfortable with this project and tells Edward to abandon it. But this means everything to him and so he continues. The Tribles he develops are born pregnant and reproduce so quickly that the ship has to be abandoned. Edward is smothered by them.
            Lucero was played by Rosa Salazar, who co-starred in the film Night Owls. 
            In the third story a cadet is given the task of watching over a prisoner who turns out to be Captain Pike. He tries to convince her to release him because an admiral made a mistake. He disobeyed orders to save lives. She refuses to let him go and it turns out that it was all a test to see if she is worthy of being part of the Enterprise crew. 
            Cadet Thira Sidhu was played by Amrit Kaur who co-stars in the TV series “The D Cut”. 
            The fourth story is animated and involves a tardigrade trying to lay eggs on the Enterprise. Although he’s not involved in the story we see and hear that Kirk is the captain. A repair drone named Dot continuously ejects Ephraim the tardigrade from the ship but it keeps returning and lays its eggs. After the last time Dot removes Ephraim from the ship for some reason the Enterprise self destructs. When Ephraim sees Dot floating in space it is about to attack but then Dot shows that it had saved the eggs from the Enterprise and they have hatched. I guess Ephraim and Dot are married now.
            The fifth story takes place on Kaminar before Saru left to join the Federation. Saru is troubled by his existence of waiting to be culled for food by the predator species that has the power of space travel. He accidentally comes across a piece of technology that fell from a star ship and figures out how to use it to send a message. Philipa Georgiou arrives in a shuttle and tells him he is the first Kelpian to use technology on that level. She offers to take him away but warns him he cannot return and so he decides to leave. 
            Saru’s sister Siranna is played by Hannah Spear, who starred in the TV series Versus Valerie.
            The sixth story is animated and takes place when Michael Burnham is a child. She is scared of monsters in her dreams and so her father tells her a story of a brave little girl of the First People in Africa during a time before there were stars. Her people do not leave their village for fear of the Night Beast but she ventures beyond and meets a being of light that gives her a gift. She takes it back to her village, opens it and the sky becomes filled with stars. 
            The final story involves two schoolgirls on Earth that hate each other. Both girls’ parents are working on Mars when the colony is attacked by rogue synthetics. The girls become friends in their shared tragedy. 
            Kima was played by Ilamaria Ebrahim who co-starred in the short film “Under the Super Moon” and the TV series "Does it Fart?" 
            Lil was played by Sadie Munroe who co-stars in “Workin Moms" and also appeared in The Handmaid's Tale" TV series.

No comments:

Post a Comment