Thursday 10 February 2022

Kent McCord


            On Wednesday morning I struggled with the new Microsoft Word that came with Microsoft Office when I downloaded it from U of T. The documents have been opening slowly and some of them have different formats. Some seem to have been converted to Word 97 while others are still Open Office. The open office ones load even slower and sometimes something from Microsoft Teams loads along with it and so I have to wait until that’s loaded to close it so I can work on my document. I tried saving my main journal document as Word 97 so maybe that will make it faster. Another problem is that “Save” is no longer under “File”, but I keep clicking “File” out of habit and it takes me to another page.
            I worked on revising my translation of “Malaise en Malaisie” (Malaise in Malaysia) by Serge Gainsbourg and I still need to work on the last verse. 
            I weighed 86.7 kilos before breakfast. 
            The hassles with loading documents and converting them to Word files ate an extra ninety minutes out of my morning.
            I weighed 87.5 kilos before lunch. I had my last croissant toasted with melted five-year-old cheddar and a glass of raspberry lemonade. 
            I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington. It was five degrees outside and so there were a lot of puddles, but the snowbanks are so big it will take a couple of weeks of weather like this to melt them. There was lots of garbage strewn on the Bloor bike lane. Maybe it had been accumulated from when ploughs picked it up with the snow. Or maybe it was spillage from garbage pickups that couldn’t maneuver as well over the banks. 
            I weighed 86.5 kilos at 17:15. 
            I got caught up on my journal at about 18:15. 
            I started re-reading Untouchable by Mulk Raj Anand out loud. 
            I re-read Simon Gikandi’s “Modernism and the World.” He says that most post-colonial literature owes its existence to Modernism despite rejecting it. 
            I started re-reading Laura Winkiel’s “Modernism and Empire.” I made pizza on naan with marinara sauce, a cut-up chicken burger and extra old cheddar. I had it with a beer while watching an episode of Adam-12. 
            This story begins with Reed planning a weekend fishing trip with his fellow rookie Bill Stenzler with their wives coming as well. But shortly after that Malloy and Reed are called to a scene where Stenzler has been shot. Most episodes of this show have a situation that causes Reed to stew over it. Now Reed is worried about telling his wife about the shooting because he doesn’t want her to start worrying about him being critically injured or killed on the job. Later Reed gets the news that if Stenzler survives he will probably be paralyzed. Reed gives a drunk driver a sobriety test. He doesn’t even know where he is or what time it is. They stop two men with a bicycle in their trunk. While they are being questioned they run and so Malloy and Reed catch and arrest them. In the end Reed learns that Stenzler died. He talks to his wife and so far it hasn’t made her afraid. 
            Reed was played by Kent McCord, who met and became friends with Ricky Nelson while they were both attending the University of Southern California. This led to him getting some small spots on Ricky’s parents’ TV show The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet as Ricky’s fraternity brother. In 1965 Kent signed with Universal and three years later got the role of Reed on Adam-12. He played the same character on Dragnet 1967, The DA, and Emergency. He played Captain Troy on Galactica 1980. He costarred in the series “Unsub.” He costarred in the film “Return of the Living Dead 3.” In 1989 he co-starred in the short-lived series Nashville Beat. He played Scott Keller on “Seaquest DSV.” He served twice as vice president of the Screen Actors Guild. He spent ten years playing on the Celebrity All Stars Basketball Team for charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment