Wednesday 9 February 2022

Martin Milner


            On Tuesday morning after yoga I worked on my presentation but only completed one slide before song practice because everything was loading so slowly. 
            I did a shortened song practice and returned to my presentation at 8:00. I was finished at 9:00 and it looked pretty good. 
            I weighed 87.1 kilos before breakfast. 
            At 9:45 I logged onto Zoom for the Global Modernisms lecture, all hyped for my presentation because I was scheduled to be the first one. But the window saying “Please wait for the host to start the meeting” just stayed there for an hour and a half until I gave up. I closed Zoom but then I thought I’d check for messages on Quercus. There was one from Apala saying that the link had been changed. By the time I’d arrived in the classroom there were only fifteen minutes left. I missed my presentation and so I felt ripped off. I was surprised that 34 of the other students had gotten the message but not me. I hadn’t checked on Quercus because I’d been looking for an email like most instructors send.
            I talked to Apala about it later and she said that maybe it was because I was there early that I didn’t get the message. I don’t get what that means. She said I could do my presentation next Tuesday, but I said I should be next in queue. Another student said I could switch with her. I was also concerned that I’d missed the lecture, but a student said I might be able to get it on Discord, so she sent me an invitation link. 
            I was upset about missing my presentation and felt like crying because I’d worked so hard to prepare for it. It’s going to feel anticlimactic on Thursday because I’d been so hyped. Apala explained that it was because we were supposed to start in person classes this week and so the old Zoom link was no longer valid. But the link gave me a message to wait for the host to start the meeting. If it was a wrong link, why wouldn’t I get a message saying so? I hate missing lectures. 
            This whole thing threw me off balance and I felt out of it for the rest of the day. It especially pissed me off because I sacrificed my whole morning in preparation for my presentation. I put aside a lot of my regular activities to prepare for something that didn’t happen. So now I’d have to spend the day getting caught up.
            I weighed 86.1 kilos before lunch.
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Ossington. There’d been some more melting, and the way was pretty clear.
            I weighed 86.6 kilos at 17:15.
            It took me until dinnertime to get caught up on my blogs and my journal. 
            I had a potato with gravy and my last three little pork chops while watching an episode of Adam-12. 
            This story begins with a couple of detectives teasing Malloy and Reed in the lunchroom about how mundane their jobs are. Malloy teases right back about how the detectives may spend months on one case and in the end turn up nothing. But the ribbing bothers Reed, who thinks the dicks are acting superior. He obsesses over it for the rest of the day. 
            The first situation on patrol is a mother who reports her four-year-old son missing. Malloy finds him in the basement with the cats. The mother says they only have one cat, but Malloy says, “You have five now” because the mother just had kittens. 
            Then a guy they know on the street tells them that he heard fighting in his hotel. They check it out and find a man dead. Malloy tells Reed not to touch anything because the detectives need to investigate. Reed thought he could help the dicks but they didn’t want any assistance. Reed is bothered again but Malloy tells him the dicks have their job and we have ours. 
            Then there is a dispute between a husband and wife. The wife claims abuse, but Malloy calms her down. However, after she looks in the mirror and sees she’s been scratched she attacks her husband.
            Later they are driving, and Malloy observes that the guys in the car ahead of them stiffen when they see a police car. He pulls up beside them to see how they’ll react, and they take off. When they catch them, they discover that they are heroin dealers and suddenly, Reed finds his job interesting again.
            Malloy was played by Martin Milner, who played the same character on Dragnet, The D.A., and Emergency. He had his first film role at fifteen in the movie “Life with Father.” He starred as Tod Stiles on “Route 66” (inspired by Jack Kerouac). He hosted a radio show about fishing for several years since 1993. He co-starred in the short-lived series “Nashville Beat.” He was Gil Kane's visual inspiration for comic book character Guy Gardiner when he was featured as an alternative to the silver age Green Lantern.




No comments:

Post a Comment