Tuesday 12 April 2022

A-Bomb Enabled Snowman


            On Monday morning I memorized the second verse of “L'avant-guerre, c'est maintenant” (The Pre-War is Happening) by Serge Gainsbourg and changed some parts of my translation to better fit the rhyme, especially for the Shakespeare quote: Shakespeare didn’t prattle / When he said, “None die well in battle.” 
            I weighed 85.5 kilos before breakfast. 
            I worked on doing research for my essay but I think I’ve done enough and have to start writing with a week and a half to go before the deadline. 
            I weighed 85.8 kilos before lunch.
            I took a siesta for twenty minutes longer than usual and then when I got up I spent twenty minutes on the toilet. I took my bike ride half an hour later than usual. 
            On Bloor Street I found some things that had been thrown out, including a hardcover selection of stories by Alice Munro. That reminds me that yesterday on Brock Avenue I found Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita. I read half of it years ago but lost interest in the story after Humbert finally has sex with Lolita. On my way home at Queen and Bathurst, large droplets began falling, but they didn’t last for more than a few blocks and so I didn’t get wet. When I got back from downtown it didn’t seem to be much later than usual. 
            I weighed 84.8 kilos at 17:45. 
            I got caught up on my journal at 18:30. 
            I worked on my essay and did actual writing rather than research. 
            I had a potato, lima beans, a scallion, and spinach with margarine while watching an episode of Astro Boy. 
            This story begins with Dr. Elefun participating in an expedition in the Himalayas to find the Abominable Snowman. Elefun does encounter the massive yeti and is captured. He wakes up in a replica of an ancient Roman city inside the mountain. There he meets Sam Caesar, who calls himself the emperor of the new Roman Empire. Twenty years ago Sam was exploring the Himalayas when he got lost in a blizzard. Seeking shelter he found a cave that led to this ancient Roman city. Here Sam created a factory and used it to build an army of robot legionnaires. The abominable snowman is also a robot that serves him. Sam wants Elefun the expert robot builder to help him build more powerful robots so he can conquer the world and turn it into his new Roman Empire, but Elefun refuses. 
            After Elefun is caught trying to escape he is punished with having to face a vicious robot sabre toothed tiger in the colosseum. Meanwhile, Astro Boy comes to the mountains to look for Dr. Elefun and is attacked by the abominable snowman. During the fight Astro Boy tears off its furry surface to reveal it’s a robot. Astro Boy forces it to tell him where Elefun is being held. Astro Boy tunnels down to the ancient city just in time to save Elefun. Then Astro Boy has to fight Sam’s entire army of robot legionnaires. Then he must battle Sam’s most powerful warrior, Brutus. After a long battle Astro Boy wins but refuses to destroy Brutus. Brutus is impressed with Astro Boy’s nobility and Astro Boy convinces him that Sam is a bad human being. Sam pushes the self destruct button and sits on his throne laughing as the city collapses around him. Astro Boy and Elefun escape to the snowy surface where Astro Boy is too low in energy to fly. To attract a passing plane Astro Boy convinces Elefun to burn his notebooks on the amazing ancient city.

No comments:

Post a Comment