Monday 4 April 2022

April 4, 1992: It was my daughter’s first time in a pool, and I’d never heard her laugh so much


Thirty years ago today

            On Saturday I got up to Nancy’s place at around 9:30 and I think I left with my daughter at 10:00. She fell asleep again as I was carrying her down to my place from Kingston Road. When she woke up, I got her dressed and took her to the pool. We went to the Lee Avenue pool first, but it was closed. The baby was getting cranky as I took her on the streetcar to the Jimmy Simpson Pool. We were twenty minutes early and so I let her crawl around, but she got her foot stuck between the slats of a bench. A guy came to help me get it out. 
            It was my daughter’s first time in a pool, and I’d never heard her laugh so much as she jumped up and down and splashed her hands in the water. She especially enjoyed it when the other kids got in. She liked to move forward but it seemed to freak her out when I positioned her to float backward. 
            I took her to the supermarket and then back home. At 16:00 I called Nancy, but she wasn’t sure if I should bring her back yet. Then the baby fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment