Sunday 17 April 2022

April 17, 1992: When the driver accused me of splitting the carnations I told him not to piss me off


Thirty years ago today

            On Good Friday I got up around 5:45, got ready, and headed for the flower place. There was a hassle because they wanted all their employees to leave a piece of identification with the office while we were out selling their flowers. First of all, it’s illegal for them to take people’s documents but rather than waste a lot of time arguing I simply lied and said I didn’t have any ID. They finally let me through, and I waited until between 8:00 and 8:30 before they sent me up to Newmarket. I was set up with my flowers in the parking lot of a Becker’s store. A couple of times when the driver returned to replenish my supply, I got in trouble for splitting up the roses. Even though they sold better that way he threatened to take my commission. When he accused me of splitting up the carnations as well, I pointed at him and said, “Don’t piss me off!” I learned how to hide the split buckets from him and by the end of the day I’d sold $652, which was the second best in our Newmarket group. Another guy had sold $800 and something.

No comments:

Post a Comment