Sunday 22 January 2023

January 22, 1993: My daughter's hand was caught in the subway train door


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday at around midday Nancy came by with my daughter. She was asleep in the stroller so I carried it downstairs and put her to bed. Nancy hung around for a minute and then went to the library. My daughter slept for about four hours then I fed her and took her down the street to her mother. But then the baby took a shit and so I carried her back up to my place to change her. We met her again at Shoppers Drug Mart. Nancy went to a toy store while I did some grocery shopping. I carried the baby and the groceries downtown. She shat again and it was Nancy's turn to change her. Then she had another bowel movement but there were no diapers left. Nancy found a place that had singles, so she brought me one and I changed her. We went to the Olive Garden where Nancy bought me a beer. Nancy went ahead of us to Warden station so she could read but when we got there on the next train Nancy wasn't there. I was really pissed off. I waited almost half an hour and then started taking my daughter to my place, but when I got to Main I decided to go back and give her hell. I guess I was blinded by anger because when I was about to get off at Warden Station again I stepped out through the doors just as they were opening. The baby grabbed one of the doors and her hand went with it into the train where it was jammed there and I couldn't safely pull it out. Some idiot tried to grab my daughter's hand to yank it but I elbowed him in the gut. Nancy came along and quickly jerked the baby's hand out. It was a big deal. I called her a cunt for not having been there in the first place. I wanted to take the baby to the hospital and Nancy hesitated but finally agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment