Sunday 29 January 2023

January 29, 1993: Mike Copping argued that maternal instinct is always correct and I thought that was absurd


Thirty years ago today

            On Friday after midnight I told Mike Copping about my daughter getting her hand stuck in the subway train door last week. We argued until around 3:00 over a comment that I'd made about Nancy having been to some degree responsible for the fiasco. My main point was that the whole experience felt like it wasn't meant to happen. We also argued about Nancy's action of yanking the baby's hand out of the door. He said that because it turned out all right it had been the right thing to do. I told him that it was the wrong thing to do and it had only turned out okay accidentally. He asserted something about the correctness of maternal instinct, which I thought was absurd. 
            Mike got up at 4:45 and left for work. I got up at around 8:45 and decided to head right downtown to pick up my cheques so I would have money to eat before going to work. I wrote this on the way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment