Tuesday 17 January 2023

Nai Bonet


            On Monday morning I finished working out the chords for "j'ai pas d'regret" (I've No Regrets) by Boris Vian. Tomorrow I'll run through the song in French, then I might have to revise my translation as I go through it in English. 
            I finished working out the chords for "OK pour plus jamais" (Okay for No More Always) by Serge Gainsbourg. I ran through the song in English and French then uploaded it to Christian's Translations and began preparing it for blog publication. 
            I weighed 83.8 kilos before breakfast. 
            The landlord banged on my door and when I answered he held up a sheet of paper and angrily asked if I'd put it on the bulletin board in the hallway. I had and it was simply a notice to the other tenants conveying the information that I'd gotten from the pest control expert two days before. He had informed me that poison kills the spores that he'd sprayed to kill the bedbugs and so I advised people not to use the canned poison from the hardware store. He shouted that the notification board is only for the landlord to use and that I can't tell the other tenants what to do. I reminded him of what Steve from Orkin had told us but Raja claimed that he'd told tenants that the canned spray was okay to use. That seems odd, since if he said the poison kills the spores he's not going to tell someone that it doesn't. I've found a study online that shows that even spraying the spores on top of residual poison will diminish the effect of the spores. Raja made a big show of tearing up my note into little pieces in front of me. What an asshole! 
            I read some more of Jane Eyre and made it four-fifths of the way through. There's about a hundred pages left. The day after Jane finds out just before she would have married him that Rochester was already married, Jane leaves the estate with twenty shillings to her name and the clothes on her back. She takes a coach as far as she can and tries to find work but doors are shut. She sleeps outside and begins begging until she collapses on someone's doorstep. She is taken in and nursed back to health by a young pastor and his sisters. The pastor gives her work teaching at a school for girls that he has set up, and she is given a little cottage to live in. 
            Some guys came to test the smoke alarm in my place while I was shaving. 
            I weighed 84.1 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 83.6 kilos at 17:20. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:09. 
            I read another fifty pages of Jane Eyre and there are about fifty or sixty left. The pastor named St John Rivers has discovered Jane's real identity through a lawyer who has been searching for her. He has also learned that Jane has inherited 20,000 Pounds from her late uncle who she never met. That would amount to about 2.7 million pounds today. It is also revealed that St. John and his two sisters are Jane's cousins. Even though the money has only been left to Jane, since she has never had a family, learning that her friends are cousins is more valuable to her than wealth. She wants to divide the money so that each of them has 5000 pounds. She restores the family house for Christmas. St. John wants to be a missionary in India and he wants Jane to be his missionary wife. About 5% of marriages in the UK were first cousin marriages throughout the 19th Century but it suddenly dropped severely after WWI and continued to do so. 
            There was a knock on my door and it was my upstairs neighbour David. He surprised me with the news that he was leaving tomorrow morning for Switzerland, Israel and then Ethiopia. He handed me his key and asked me to look after his place and water his rosemary plant. He said most of his snakes are being taken care of by a pet store but his two oldest ones will be there. I was disappointed that I won't see them because they live in his closet and rarely come out. I asked if he wanted me to feed them but he said they'll come out and catch a mouse, then sleep for a month. 
            He said he has a very bad back right now because the extreme jerking shocks caused by the heavy machinery he operates causes him pain. 
            We exchanged numbers and he said he'll text me during his trip. He asked me to help him at 5:00 tomorrow to get his suitcases downstairs to the taxi. 
            I grilled two racks of pork ribs and had four ribs with a small potato and gravy while watching season 4, episode 3 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            In this story Jed appears on TV with a rich sheik who also has his wealth from oil. He has 200 wives and when he hears that Jed is a widower he sends him four beautiful young women to be his wives. Jed calls Drysdale and Brewster to get him out of this mess. When the sheik comes to visit and sees Elly May he wants to buy her. Jed tries to explain that can't happen but meanwhile Jethro trades Elly for the four girls and a camel. But the sheik's car returns shortly after Elly beat the sheik up and put him in the trunk. The sheik takes his four wives and runs away. 
            One of the harem girls was played by Nai Bonet, who was a professional belly dancer of half Vietnamese and half French descent. She started performing as a belly dancer in Las Vegas at the age of thirteen. She played vamps in many B comedies and she wrote, produced, and starred in "Hoodlums" (in which she played a sex worker) and "Nocturna", the latter of which she played Dracula's rebellious granddaughter. She recorded the novelty song "Jelly Belly". She posed for Gallery Magazine but turned down Playboy. 


          
            I searched for bedbugs and found none.

No comments:

Post a Comment