Friday 6 January 2023

Joyce Nizzari


            On Thursday morning I finished working out the chords for the first verse of "J'ai pas d'regret" (I've No Regrets) by Boris Vian. 
            I memorized the fifth verse of "Entre autre, pas en traître" (I Took You for Other than a Traitor) by Serge Gainsbourg. There's just one verse left to learn and so I might have the whole song nailed down tomorrow. 
            I weighed 85 kilos before breakfast. 
            I continued fixing my old Christian's Translations blog posts to include the names of my translations in the titles, the copyright notice, and sometimes adding new videos. I made it to the end of June, 2019 and it's more than a year after that when I started posting everything properly. It might take another day to get everything corrected. 
            I weighed 85.1 kilos before lunch. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride to Bloor and Yonge, went south to College and then west to St George where I stopped at the U of T Bookstore to buy the books for my Bildungsroman course. I spent $73.92. 
            On the way home I stopped at Freshco where I bought five bags of green grapes, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, kettle chips, two boxes of spoon size shredded wheat because they were on sale, a jug of orange juice, and three bags of skim milk. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos at 17:57. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 18:39. 
            I continued editing my old Christian's Translations blogs and made it up to January, 2020. 
            I made a new batch of gravy with the drippings from the chicken I roasted yesterday. I had some with a potato and a chicken leg while watching season 3, episodes 21 and 22 of The Beverly Hillbillies.
            In the first story Jethro has just seen another James Bond movie and is once again all fired up about becoming an 00 spy. He wants to have a radio in his shoe like Bond and so he tapes a transistor to his foot, which causes him to limp and every time he steps on it the radio turns on. He also gets an iron hat like Goldfinger's henchman Oddjob wears and throws. He rigs up the truck with a big metal tub that swings down to serve as a bulletproof shield, except he can't see to drive when it's down. He has a pot belly wood stove on the back with a stovepipe to shoot smoke screens. He has an oil slick dispenser in case he's pursued and he has a shotgun mounted to automatically fire. He has also turned the front passenger seat into an ejector chair. 
            Meanwhile the bankers Milburn Drysdale and John Cushing are having their annual beauty contest featuring female employees of their banks. Cushing has a ringer in the beautiful Mabel Slocum who Drysdale suspects was only hired at the bank for the contest. Drysdale calls in Janet Trego, played by Sharon Tate but she broke her leg in a skiing accident. Finally he hires Elly May. Jethro says he'll spy on Mabel to find out if she's an employee. He kisses her to make her talk but after the kiss he talks and reveals he's Jed's nephew. Jethro thinks Mabel is also a spy and that her code number is 36-23-36. In the end Granny wants to ride downtown with Jethro since he's forgotten three times to buy beans and fatback. But she pulls on the ejector seat lever and winds up in a tree. 
            The second story is a continuation of the previous one. Elly has just won the beauty contest. She has several duties and is worried that she'll miss groundhog day. Not the annual event but the day that Granny cooks groundhog. This is the first reference to animal loving Elly actually looking forward to eating an animal. 
            Jed goes to Cushing's bank to say he's sorry there couldn't be two winners of the beauty contest. Jed invites Cushing and Mabel for lunch. When he's there Cushing flirts hardcore with Granny and turns her head. He invites them out to dinner. He brings Granny flowers and dances with her. He also discusses Jed transferring his $45 million from Drysdale's bank to Cushing's bank. The next day Jed is still thinking about it but Granny is impatient to make the move. This is the first mention of it, but she reminds Jed that he always said that one quarter of his money is hers. So she decides to take her fourth out of Drysdale's bank. 
           They go to the bank but Drysdale says he just can't hand it over in cash because the money is invested. Granny thinks that means he's spent it. Since they can't look at the money they decide they can't trust Drysdale and so they agree to transfer the money. But then when they go to Cushing's bank and ask to see the money he says he doesn't have it. They think he spent it quicker than Drysdale so they move it back to Drysdale's bank. 
            Mabel Slocum was played by Joyce Nizzari, who was discovered at the age of fifteen by glamour photographer Bunny Yeager. At the age of 18 she was Playmate of the Month in Playboy Magazine. She worked as a Bunny in the first Playboy Club. In her fifties she became an assistant to Hugh Hefner at the Playboy mansion. 




            
            I searched for bedbugs and found none. 
            I fixed some more of my old Christian's Translations blog posts and made it to the middle of April, 2020. I should have it all corrected on Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment