Tuesday 24 January 2023

Sebastian Cabot


            On Monday morning I had salmonella from the salmon I had last night, but as usual it was mostly gone during song practice. 
            I revised my translation of the sixth verse of "J'ai pas d'regret" (I've No Regrets) by Boris Vian. 
            I memorized the second verse of "C’est rien, je m’en vais, c’est tout" (It’s nothing, I’m done, I’m gone) by Serge Gainsbourg and revised my translation of some of the verses. 
            I weighed 84.6 kilos before breakfast, which is the heaviest I've been in the morning in twelve days.
            I wasted a lot of time in the morning trying find a quote in my documents, so I didn't get a lot of David Copperfield read before lunch. I made it to page 359. David's aunt suggests that he become a proctor. Steerforth explains that a proctor is like an attorney who deals with cases of both nautical and ecclesiastical law. Aunt Betsey is taking David to the company that would employ him when she is accosted by someone who looks like a beggar. David wants to get rid of him but even though she is visibly upset she insists on riding off with the man in a carriage. When she returns she asks that David not ask her anything about it. 
            I weighed 84.9 kilos before lunch. That's the most I've weighed at that time in two weeks. 
            In the afternoon I took a bike ride downtown and back. 
            I weighed 84.2 kilos at 17:15. 
            I was caught up on my journal at 17:52. 
            I spent about two hours reading David Copperfield and made it to page 405, which is about twenty pages short of the halfway point of the novel. David has begun working as a proctor for Mr. Spenlow. David's aunt has set him up in a handsome apartment and so David throws a housewarming party, inviting Steerforth and two of Steerforth's friends. David proceeds to get drunk for the first time and then they all go to the theatre where he runs into his beloved Agnes who he embarrasses with his drunkenness. But she forgives him when they meet next. She tells him that Uriah Heep is going to become her father's partner in the law firm. David doesn't like Uriah and so this is not good news. Agnes begs him to be nice to Uriah and so he invites him to his place. Uriah confesses he is in love with Agnes. That gives David the urge to kill him but he remembers his promise to Agnes. Spenlow invites David to his home for a weekend where David falls in love at first sight with Spenlow's daughter Dora. By bizarre coincidence Spenlow has hired David's cruel step aunt Jane Murdstone to be Dora's companion. Jane speaks with David in private and suggests that neither of them say anything bad about the other. He agrees. Dora doesn't like Jane. 
            I had a potato with gravy and three pork ribs. I added to the gravy the leftover butter and lemon from the salmon I cooked yesterday. I ate while watching season 4, episode 10 of The Beverly Hillbillies. 
            Jethro has a chemistry set and fancies himself to be an inventor now. He thinks he's invented a pill that turns water into gasoline. Jed needs Jethro to drive him to Mr. Drysdale's bank for a meeting, but the gas pill not only fails on the way but it also destroys the engine, and Jethro has to push.
            Meanwhile at the bank, Mr. Sebastian the billionaire and two of Drysdale's colleagues who think that Jed is a genius are waiting for him. Sebastian shows them a film about his underwater farming project, which he says is the future. He gives Jane a giant sponge that he harvested from the bottom of the ocean. 
            Jed is late and Sebastian has to leave before he arrives because he has an appointment for a massage at his club. Jane tells Jed that Sebastian is a farmer and urges him to go to the club. At the club, Sebastian has given his trainer Joe orders to be a hard taskmaster, not matter how he begs. When Jed arrives at the club he misunderstands the situation. He sees Joe appearing to beat up Sebastian as he massages him and tells him he has to pay for the donuts he had this morning. Jed thinks that Sebastian is extremely poor if he has to be punished to pay for some donuts. Jed knocks out Joe and stuffs him in a locker. 
            Jane takes the giant sponge to give to the Clampetts. Granny thinks it's food and tries to cook it. Jethro finds it in the pot, thinks it's a giant mushroom and eats it. 
            Lucas Sebastian was played by Sebastian Cabot, who quit school at the age of 14 to work in a garage. He became a chauffeur and valet for the actor Frank Pettingell and that led him to try the theatre. His first film appearance was as an extra in Foreign Affairs at the age of 17. The next year he had a credited part in Alfred Hitchcock's "Secret Agent". He moved to the United States in the 1950s and started appearing in Hollywood films. On television he co-starred in the detective series Checkmate. He did a lot of voice work for Disney. His most famous role was as the butler Mr. French on Family Affair, for which he was nominated for an Emmy. Both he and his co-star Brian Keith found the show extremely boring to act in. He did an album in which he recited Bob Dylan lyrics. He lived in his later years just outside of Victoria, British Columbia. 



            I got up to page 408 in David Copperfield, which is about 15 pages shy of the halfway point.
            I searched for bedbugs and for the first time in about a week I didn't find one.

No comments:

Post a Comment